• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finished Student Film

Share/Bookmark

Smile Finished Student Film

Hi All!

I just got the completed version of "On The 10th" - the student film I scored recently. Sorry, but I can only give you Quicktime again. I don't have the right software to convert it differently. Also, it is 28MB, so there is a patience factor, too. But, for those who want to take a peek, here it is.

I had a great time on this. The screening was successful! There were some great shorts and I met some contacts to do more films. Here's the link:

On The 10th

If your Quicktime does not automatically open, you may have to open Quicktime and "Open URL" and paste the link into the address field. Sorry for the inconvenience. I am not saavy with this sort of stuff.

I couldn't have created this without GPO and I am very thankful!

Best to you!
    ~Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Re: Finished Student Film

Hi Paula, Very impressive... The music as a whole is wonderfully in-sync with the film from an emotional perspective. It definitely adds more drama to the film... and I enjoyed the combination of the orchestral with the more modern beats underneath giving momentum and suspense to the film... Good job...

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Paula,

You really captured the idiom well - the music supports the action, and while interesting, doesn't detract from the action. That's the irony: the better the score, the less it's heard as an entity in its own right. Overstatement, of course...

I might try listening without looking at the screen!

Very well done!

Ron

Paula,

Top notch work!!! I really like the blend of the of the synths with the orchestra. It's a pretty interesting film, too. I couldn't help but notice your credit is "Sound by..." did you do other work also? Like dialogue or effects?

I particularly like the way you scored the quick-motion run through. I had to pause for a moment and try to decide what I would do if someone handed me that piece of video and said, "make it work." Was this the last thing you scored? Or rather, I guess I should ask if you scored this film in order? Again very nice job on this!

Joe

Hey Paula:

WOW...That was great film scoring in my opinion. Your cues certainly did underscore the action very professionally. I'm not an expert on film scoring, but I did notice that in one place where the two women were talking there was percussion in the background. I don't know if it was necessary or not or if it might have been too loud, but that was the only critique I would have in an otherwise GREAT score.......

You are either "on your way," or "further along, on your way." Either way, I can only say, BRAVO, Paula.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thank you for your generous comments! This is only my 3rd film, so your comments are most welcome. The director gave me two weeks to do it and then called me and said he needed it in less than a week so I busted my butt to try to be creative and not too repetitive.

I wanted some beats for a contemporary sound. I only started with the looped drums and wanted my husband to lay the real tracks, but ran out of time. I thought the director would cut the beats out during the dialogue, but I had them there so he could fade them up and down as needed. The looped drums are a little annoying, I admit.

I'm glad you noticed the quick motion scene. That was a last minute add on and when he asked if I could do it he said he wanted the "Beatles" crescendo. I knew exactly what he meant. I couldn't resist the major chord at the end! He sent me all of the scenes except for the credits and the quick motion scene, so I scored the ones first that I had ideas for the bust, the strungout babysitter and then did the rest using some of the ideas from those scenes. The last scene of course is the music from the dad and daughter scene only I added a grunge guitarish sound to it.

I'm not sure why he said sound by me because I only did the music. I would love to take some foley arts classes. That would be cool!

Sorry I'm such a windbag! Thanks so much again for listening. I am sorry if Quicktime format kept people from being able to see it. I am looking into other conversion software.

Best,
    Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Darn, Paula, I can never open .mov files (a quirk of conflicts
    with development software on my systems).

I do, though, send along congratulations on an apparently
    very well received achievement!

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I tried to view this a few days back...... couldn't open it either, for some darn reason!

... but Congrats!

~Jeff

Paula,

For those of us who may not have a fast connection it might be advantageous to post a link to the music alone if that is possible. I have a fast connection and it has been downloading for several minutes with no end in sight.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Paula,

For those of us who may not have a fast connection it might be advantageous to post a link to the music alone if that is possible. I have a fast connection and it has been downloading for several minutes with no end in sight.

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Cool - this I can do. I lifted the audio and turned it into an mp3, however, I just realized that there is cursing in the drug deal scene and I'm not sure how to bleep that out. I am also sorry to anyone that may have been offended by it. After hearing the scene so much, I think my ear became numb to it. Either that, or I got it confused with my potty mouth and couldn't remember if it was in the dialogue or just some of my mutterings. Please excuse me for not divulging this detail and for anyone listening/viewng in future, it is still audible. Sorry!

So, here is the audio only for the film. The first scene is the credits that slide into a phone call scene without dialogue of the dealer planning the deal. Then, in reverse order, the scenes go from the drug bust backwards to the morning of the bust. After the last phone call scene, there is the high speed music where the entire film runs all the scenes fast motion to the end with the focus of the last frame on the dead babysitter. Then after the piano dies, the credit music starts. The twist is that one of the DEA agents that handles the bust is the dad of the babysitter and didn't know that she would be at the bust.

Hope this synopsis helps it from being too boring to listen to without the video. As soon as I can get this stuff figured out, I will post the film and hopefully others. And thank you so much for your kind remarks without having even heard or seen anything! You guys are so sweet!

I hope you like it!

On the 10th Audio Only

Best,
    Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Go Back to forum