• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mackie, KRK or Dynaudio?

Share/Bookmark

Mackie, KRK or Dynaudio?

Hi people,

I'm currently using a pair of old Monitor One here and I can't stand it anymore, it only confuses me while mixing and doesn't help at all.

I have a small room (2,6m x 5,4m) and my DAW is on one side of the room, so I need to use the speakers in a near-field arrangement. So I think there's no room for 8'' woofers, or am I wrong?

Well, here where I live, the easiest choice for good monitors are the Mackies. I saw some people to say good things about the KRKs and many people to say wonderful things about the Dynaudio BM series. Well, those I can find in distributors, but not so acessible as the Mackies.

My two questions:

1. Are KRK or Dynaudio worthy the trouble to pay an expensive shipping, wait some weeks, etc than just pay and get the Mackies?

2. For me, what would be better? The small ones (5/6'') or the big ones (8'')?

Thanks!
    []'s, Fabrício Zuccherato
    Wormhole Studios

Re: Mackie, KRK or Dynaudio?

For starters, I am not a fan of the Mackies. When they first came around some 5 or 6 years ago, I really liked them at first because they sounded so good, but as time went on, I came to the realization that they just don't translate very well. The more and more I listen to the HR824's the more I dislike them.

The Dynaudio's are terrific. Very accurate detail and stereo imaging and not overly hyped like the Mackies. I've done a few things on them and I like them very, very much.

KRK's are hit and miss. As a company, they've made what I think are some of the best near-field monitors on the planet, but they've also now started making some cheapies, which while they are not bad in their respective price ranges, they are certainly not up to the standards of their past speakers. They've also moved production to China recently and don't go all out on putting nice components in like they used to.

Personally- I have a pair of KRK Expose E7's which in my opinion are some of the finest near-fields ever made. When they came out, they sold for around $3,299 for a pair, but are no longer made. From time to time you can find a used pair pop up for around $1,000 or so, but it's rare to find them these days.

Out of currently made monitors, Dynaudio or A.D.A.M. would be the ones I would go for, but you should really trust your ears and try a few out if you can- that's always the best test...

Quote Originally Posted by fabricioz

2. For me, what would be better? The small ones (5/6'') or the big ones (8'')?

Thanks!
    choos 8'' !!
    then you have enough bass and don't need a subwoofer

Question Re: Mackie, KRK or Dynaudio?

faintwhitenoise, thanks for your tips.

About the KRK models I'm able to get if I want, it's the V II and the Rookit II series. Never tested it, and don't know if I'll be able to. The Dynaudio's are the BM series, and I think I can test it (doing a little travel). I agree, that's the best test, but unfortunately, here in Brazil it's so hard to find it. Everywhere you find the Mackies easily, because it's distributor here is strong.

wind, I agree with you, but I don't know if the big woofers will distort the sound in my room, which is small. It'll have to be close to the back and side walls, not so far from eachother (2m+-) and less than 2m from me. Many people said it would be better for me to get smaller monitors and a sub. What do you think?

Thanks again!
    Wormhole Studios

Just to complicate matters... JBL makes some monitors that include a microphone used to automatically adjust for the room and speaker placement. I've only heard them in noisy, tradeshow environments - including the Tascam booth at NAB, and they sounded fine, but I can't offer a critical review.

In theory they would compensate for your small space.

Well, here are my choices (the prices are converted to US$, plus taxes and shipping):

Mackie HR624 - US$ 2.465, arrives in the same day
    Dynaudio BM5A - US$ 1.960 (semi-used), arrives in the same day
    KRK RP-6 - US$ 1.025, shipping in some weeks

The problem is that the only one I can pay in multiple parcels in the credit card is the Mackie, the other ones is in cash. It may not look so much, but our currency (Real) is currently worthy US$ 0,45, so I'll have to pay more than twice what its used to be some years ago
    Wormhole Studios

Quote Originally Posted by fabricioz
    Well, here are my choices (the prices are converted to US$, plus taxes and shipping):

Mackie HR624 - US$ 2.465, arrives in the same day
    Dynaudio BM5A - US$ 1.960 (semi-used), arrives in the same day
    KRK RP-6 - US$ 1.025, shipping in some weeks
    Personally, I like the Mackie sound, but I find the KRK sound to be rough to my ears. You probably don't want to wait for weeks, so, if it were me, I'd limit it to the top two choices.

I've never spent any time with Dynaudios, so I can't offer any insights there. Saving $500 is nice, but there is always risk when buying used.

Some time ago Bruce Richardson's colleague Rip Rowan reviewed the BM6As and they were his favorite, beating the 8" Mackies. The used BM5A may be worth the risk...

The problem is that the only one I can pay in multiple parcels in the credit card is the Mackie, the other ones is in cash. It may not look so much, but our currency (Real) is currently worthy US$ 0,45, so I'll have to pay more than twice what its used to be some years ago
    In that case, don't buy in Euros. Everything is Europe costs nearly twice as much for me as they did a few years ago, so you'd be looking at almost a 4x increase. Ouch!

those prices seem high in us dollars, hmmm

I have the KRK V6, and I am fond of them. I have learned them pretty well, and my mixes translate nicely now. They are a little heavier in the mids as someone mentioned, and a tad on the punchy side, but i like them better then the macki 624, don't get those, they are inferior. The dynaudio's are the best in your list. Go for those.
    www.energiestudios.com

Thanks! Does anybody here knows the difference between the KRK V and RP series?
    Wormhole Studios

V series are higher end, better. V8's for instance have been around and are in a decent amount of studios.
    www.energiestudios.com

Go Back to forum