• Register
  • Help

Topic: Strad 2 and Artificial Harmonics...

Share/Bookmark

Strad 2 and Artificial Harmonics...

Howdy friends,

I just purchased the Strad 2 and noticed that it doesn't have artificial harmonics. Is this something that might be considered in the next upgrade? This, to me, would make the Strad perfect. In the mean time, do any of you have a work around to this? Thanks! By the way, I'm really enjoying the since of "family" that this forum brings to the table. It is refreshing.

cheers,
    James G. Eakin III
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    Assistant Director-Film Scoring program,
    Aspen Music Festival & School
    www.jameseakin.com

Re: Strad 2 and Artificial Harmonics...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesIII
    ... By the way, I'm really enjoying the sence of "family" that this forum brings to the table. It is refreshing.
    Good! it's your turn to do the washing up!

Yes, artificial harmonics would be a great addition indeed
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Question Re: Strad 2 and Artificial Harmonics...

Artificial harmonics. Could you elaborate, please?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I could try to explain, but wikipedia always seems to explain better than I do: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_harmonic. I hope that helps.

When using natural harmonics you are limited to the notes that can be produced. With artificial harmonics, that limitation is no longer present. I'll be back in a minute, I have to take out the trash.

cheers,
    James G. Eakin III
    Composer-In-Residence,
    Turtle Creek Chorale
    Assistant Director-Film Scoring program,
    Aspen Music Festival & School
    www.jameseakin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    This may be a simplistic description but:

Natural harmonics are when the violinist touches the string lightly on a point that divides the string evenly into 1/2s, or at the 1/3, 1/4, 1/5 point. This produces only a limited amount of harmonics -- Basically you're limited to the first few overtones of each open string (an octave, and 8ve + 5th, 2 8ves, 2 8ves + major 3rd). (These may not be the exact numbers).

A violinist can "fake" more variety of notes by fingering a note (shortening the string) and using another finger to touch the halfway (third, quarter, fifth, etc.) point of the new, shorter string length. This way can produce any harmonic, without being limited to the overtones of the open strings.

There's probably more to it, but I'm not a string player so I'm just going on what I've learned in orchestration classes.

chris.

Go Back to forum