• Register
  • Help

Topic: UAD-1, Powercore - reverbs!

Share/Bookmark

UAD-1, Powercore - reverbs!

I am considering at the moment getting a UAD-1 or a Powercore. I want to be able to do most effects-work directly on my computer, free of outboard gear. I currently use a TC M-One and Lexicon MPX1 for reverbs mainly. My question is, does anyone use either the UAD-1 or Powercore for orchestral reverbs? I know the UAD-1 has great compressors and EQ\'s, so if it has a great reverb too, I\'ll be going for that. I also know that the Powercore has the TC M5000 reverb - which I haven\'t heard/tried, and that they have 3rd party plugins on the way, while the UAD is more closed.

I\'d love to hear some examples of the Realverb coming with the UAD-1 - I can\'t find anything on the internet.

Re: UAD-1, Powercore - reverbs!

Hello, I don´t have the UAD or Powercore, but I know from the Nuendo forum that Uad will develop a new verb \"Dreamverb\" or \"Realverb pro\". I´m sure you know that M5000 reverb is one of the standards in classical music, because TC doesn´t colorate the sound. Transparency is another reason why engineers often also choose TC M5000. I know from some classical productions, that were entirely done whith darker sounding Lexicons... So it is all a matter of taste I guess. Regards!

Simon,
    Are you using Creamware DSP-card?
    There are some disscusions about Powercore here, using the searching with Keywords \"Powercore\", the link can be found as follows:
    http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewforum.php?forum=5

As far as using the reverbs, the outboard mixing-reverb is still always best. I have listened to your creative music tracks, they all are nice, which hardly found in any current PC-Reverbs. Again, today\'s good-PC-DSP-Reverb seems be not really less expensive than hardware-reverb and of course the quality-wise never be same performance (just two-cent-worth)

BTW, there is very interested product for Pulsar/Scope-DSP Reverb solution here like Virtual-Room-Simulator, I\'m not sure about sound quality, but it has very useful Graphical-User-Interface. It might be kind of the future reverb for Orchestral/classical Digital-Audio-Mixing that we are looking for (just an idea). I\'m about on evaluated this VRS! Just worth a tried! http://www.dspdev.com/dspdev/products_VRS.asp

Hope this helps,
    Long

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 12-26-2001).]

Yes I am using Pulsar. I just dont think that any of the Pulsar reverbs sound any good and I doubt there will ever be anything good for it. Pulsar is very underpowered in the DSP department and it has no onboard RAM. The UAD in particular is very powerful, and I am sure it can do reverbs which match outboard gear - I think the Realverb Pro is GOOD, from what I read, but not fantastic. A new verb is underway though. I dont agree that DSP cards cant compete in that department. Not anymore. Powercore and UAD are quite powerful. I tried a demo of that roomsimulator - sounds really bad. It\'s the same with Spinaudio 3D VST plugin where you can position your audio tracks in a virtual room. Sounds terrible too.

Right now I am pretty sure I\'ll buy the UAD-1. It has some great plugins already, and more are coming out. The quality seems to be really good. Only problem is making it work I guess, like most other cards there can be some initial troubles getting it to work properly. But the Powercore should be worse in that respect.

Why not just take the money that you would spend on a dedicated harware reverb or sound card with DSP and just buy a faster motherboard and CPU.
    Then you can use a a good software plugin reverb like Waves Trueverb or Waves Renaissance reverb .
    If your CPU is fast enough the plugin won\'t be much of a limiting factor .
    Also if you happen to be using Sonar ,Cakewalk has a new plugin that comes with Sonar XL called studioverb, and it sounds very very good and has muchless CPU than the two Waves reverbs I mentioned.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kenn159:
    Why not just take the money that you would spend on a dedicated harware reverb or sound card with DSP and just buy a faster motherboard and CPU.
    Then you can use a a good software plugin reverb like Waves Trueverb or Waves Renaissance reverb .
    If your CPU is fast enough the plugin won\'t be much of a limiting factor .
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You cant get a computer fast enough to do the same as a dedicated DSP card like the UAD. I want to have a system where I know that I can add a lot of plugins and dont have to worry about Cubase crashing, audio performance dropping or anything like that. And what everybody who owns the UAD say is that it is better than any CPU based plugin. You can simply afford to use much more processing power on a dedicated DSP board than you can with a CPU plugin. One instance of the Waves RVerb eats more than 40% of a 667mhz P3. And I know that Cubase becomes pretty flaky and weird when I go above 60-70% CPU usage. So I\'d rather get even better reverbs and being able to add up to 10 of them without having to worry about computer performance. And don\'t give me the P4 story - I am not going to jump onto P4 yet - I\'ll probably wait until the new P4 comes out.

The Sonar reverb is very sweet. It is also EXTREMELY efficient. I am very happy with it.
    Peace.

Go Back to forum