• Register
  • Help

Topic: creating strings slides

Share/Bookmark

Wink creating strings slides

Is there any way of creating slides to other notes on strings? any one got the midi for it? i tried the pitch bend but it sounds rubbish? or are there any good sample libraries with slides in?

cheers

Re: creating strings slides

It is pretty easy to do with the Stradivari. You just run a finger up or down the keyboard.

I really think he means glissandi.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    I really think he means glissandi.
    Yeah, that's what I figured. If you play legato notes with low velocity - like you would do, if you run a finger up/down the keyboard - the Stradivari automatically bends the notes (adds portamento), so they form a seamless glissando.

Quote Originally Posted by ikebrown
    Is there any way of creating slides to other notes on strings? any one got the midi for it? i tried the pitch bend but it sounds rubbish? or are there any good sample libraries with slides in?

cheers
    ikebrown,

There are different slide technique with strings, depending on the length, speed, and other factors. Below are a couple of tutorials. Although done with our libraries the same principles may apply to other libraries.

FINGERED GLISSANDO Tutorial
    This Tutorial shows how to produce Fingered Glissandos. Here is an example of a Fingered Glissando: Fingered Glissando

TWO OCTAVE GLISSANDO Tutorial
    This tutorial shows how to create a two octave, ascending and descending sliding glissando (or extended portamento). Here is an MP3 example of a Two Octave Glissando: Two Octave Glissando mp3

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Aaaah, sorry for my ignorant remark! I did not know this was possible with the Stradivari!

By the way: This is the best sample string glissando I ever heard!! I mean, it still does sound a *little* fake but at the same time it is lightyears ahead of every other attempt I heard until today! Wow! Good work!

Gary, would you please chain Tom to his studio, until he programs fully playable glissandi for string sections? Maybe even glissandi chords? Since today I believe you guys could pull it off!
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    Gary, would you please chain Tom to his studio, until he programs fully playable glissandi for string sections?
    Sounds like your wish is Gary's command

Thanks for you help have a look at my website i have bits and bobs on there and tell me what you think music wise good or bad www.mikebrownonline.co.uk
    im interested in the chord gliss aswell that sounds interesting the glissandos i would more likely use are quicker ones !

cheers

Go Back to forum