• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: New Bossa Nova

Share/Bookmark

Arrow New Bossa Nova

It has been a while since I posted a Bossa Nova, so here is a cut from my wifes new Jazz Album.

Out_There.mp3

The opening Strings intro features GPO lush mutes layered with 3 instances of the Strad, and 3 live violin Tracks.

The song Features:
    Live Drums
    Live Bass
    Live guitar
    Live Solo Violin
    Live Tenor Sax courtesy of the wonderful Iain Ballamy
    The rhodes sound is from JABB.

The last Bossa I posted was an electro/bossa hybrid.
    This one is traditional, orthodox Bossa.
    This is an Original song , my wife Azhaar wrote the Lyric, sings, and plays the Solo Violin.

regards Joe

Re: New Bossa Nova

That's very nice, Joe.

I like your strings intro very much. It's like a big, thick carpet of sound and it is great.

Your wife doesn't even sing with a British accent.

I enjoyed your Bossa.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hey Larry, thanks for taking time out to comment.

Azhaar went to school for 3 years in Chicago, so this must have had some impact on her accent.

She has quite a posh speaking accent, unlike me. I sound like a guttersnipe who ate a dictionary for breakfast.

I always loved those big Hollywood Musical lush intro's, just before Gene Kelly would launch into one of those ballads.

This was also used by arrangers like Nelson Riddle and Claus Ogerman for Bossa Novas, I like the change of focus from Grand and Sweeping, to Close and Intimate.

Thanks again Larry........we are all rooting for you.

regards Joe

HI Joe,

Thanks for posting this lovely Bossa Nova! The string intro sets a very nice mood, your wife's lyrical voice glides us through to her solo section, all very lyrical, the Getz-like tenor is marvelous and I really liked the somewhat unexpected ending. Beautiful!

Regards,

Jim
    RealSax.com "When you need real sax in your tracks."
    http://www.realsax.com

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    "]

The opening Strings intro features GPO lush mutes layered with 3 instances of the Strad, and 3 live violin Tracks.

regards Joe
    Listening to this was a perfect sunny welcome home Joe - having driven back through thick gloomy fog over the moors this evening! Infact, it's cutting up rough here and the wife has just passed me a torch as the power could go down any minute, so better be quick. Lovely use of lush strings and layered solos on top - I must experiment with this. And what a beautiful voice! A really enjoyable listen. Will return to this once the thunder has moved on. Regards, Graham

Hi Joe,

A great job in one of my absolute favorite genres. Please accept my compliments on the composing/arranging job and pass them on to your wife as well for such a warmly musical contribution.

Danny

Joe,

Very cool piece and extra special with your wife, composing, playing and singing in it as well. Do you think we can get her into the next Garritan product

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    HI Joe,

Thanks for posting this lovely Bossa Nova! The string intro sets a very nice mood, your wife's lyrical voice glides us through to her solo section, all very lyrical, the Getz-like tenor is marvelous and I really liked the somewhat unexpected ending. Beautiful!

Regards,

Jim
    I am glad you liked it Jim. I am a very happy user of JABB, and it has proved to be of great use in working out Horn lines for this album.

But, I have always made it plain, on this forum, that I belong to the "hire a live player" camp, when it comes to extended Jazz solo's. ( I like your signature. ) To be fair to Gary and Tom......that pretty much sums up their philosophy too.

If anything, extensive use of JABB, has increased my admiration, for some of the incredible Horn Players I know. It has made me explore deeper what saxes and trumpets are capable of, and hopefully this will make me write better informed Horn section parts.

The tenor player on this track.......Iain Ballamy.....eats up this kind of Bossa material.
    I feel very lucky to be working with him.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    A really enjoyable listen. Will return to this once the thunder has moved on. Regards, Graham
    Thanks for the appreciation Graham.
    Good luck battening down the hatches.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by DDW
    Hi Joe,
    A great job in one of my absolute favorite genres.

Danny
    I love Bossa Nova.......I never seem to get tired of it. I think I must have played over a 1,000 different bossa's over the years.
    Thanks for stopping by.

regards Joe.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast