• Register
  • Help

Topic: Solo Cello samples - WITHOUT other strings

Share/Bookmark

Talking Solo Cello samples - WITHOUT other strings

Hi

Does anyone know of a solo cello which I could get hold of without having to buy an entire solo strings library? I have a large cello sonata which I really want to render through Kontakt, but have no cello samples and can't afford to buy an entire solo string library at the moment.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Lloyd

Re: Solo Cello samples - WITHOUT other strings

Not yet, but I have the feeling the Garritan Gofriller Solo Cello is not far away.

Indeed it sounds like Garritans Solo Cello is the ticket.

I saw Westgates new modular series and the flute and oboe, english horn
    seems to be released soon, and also saw percussions, brass, strings too.
    And you can buy them individually. Not sections, but instruments.
    But it might take some time till the Cello comes out

Quote Originally Posted by Veron
    I saw Westgates new modular series and the flute and oboe, english horn
    seems to be released soon, and also saw percussions, brass, strings too.
    And you can buy them individually. Not sections, but instruments.
    But it might take some time till the Cello comes out
    The wonderful Oboe Module has already been released, and the Flute is available as a download; the DVD version is due shortly, it seems.

However, there is no indication of a release date for the strings. If they come last, it may take another year or two. Tim has stated, that he expects to release a module every other month.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    The wonderful Oboe Module has already been released, and the Flute is available as a download; the DVD version is due shortly, it seems.

However, there is no indication of a release date for the strings. If they come last, it may take another year or two. Tim has stated, that he expects to release a module every other month.
    Thanks for clarifying about the release info
    The demo sounded really great. Sounded really expressive.

I would wait for the Gofriller cello. I don't think it will be much longer. But if you want some other options, Donnie Christian has a solo cello here:

http://www.donniechristianstudios.com/cello.htm

I should warn you that Donnie is not highly regarded as a businessman, so order at your own risk!

There's also Cosmo D's library here:

http://www.cosmod.net/soundbank/soundbank.html

I don't know anything about it.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

The Gofriller will be the best semi-affordable library for the job. High realism per dollar value.

If pretty-good realism as opposed to ultra-realism can fit the bill, and you are on a really tight budget, definitely consider the Solo Strings package from Kirk Hunter-

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/solostrings.html

(and depending on how strident/detache vs. lyrical your piece is, KH can do very nicely indeed).

Cosmo D is a great (and very unique) cello effects library, spectacular for experimental music and certain expressive gestures, but i would not recommend it as a bread and butter library, and certainly not as the only cello library one owns. It is not intended to be such.

Keep in mind that to use any library well in an exposed setting, you will want to learn its features well in order to render the most realistic possible performance, as well as have a good familiarity with how performances sound on the real instrument that is being emulated.

Go Back to forum