• Register
  • Help

Topic: Little Project SAM Brass issue

Share/Bookmark

Little Project SAM Brass issue

Hi.

I am just noticing something with this lib. For most of the instruments, (I have not checked all) the "release tail" (in quotes, because there really are none) for both the near and far mics do not sound, unless you let the sample play through. The samples are not looped (I like this; more realistic) so therefore they do not go on forever. Load a horn patch, press and hold a key, and the sample plays for say, 6 seconds. When the instrument is done "playing", the reverb tail can be heard; the horns sound like they are in a hall. Press the key again, release after 3 seconds (the instrument has not finished playing) and the reverb tail can NOT be heard; the instrument sounds like it is in my bedroom . I am currently using Kontakt 2.1; is there any way around this, or any fix in the works? Not sure if this is a lib thing, or a Kontakt thing?

Cheers.

Re: Little Project SAM Brass issue

Hey Riff

You need to load the Presets that have RELease sample mapped.

-Bo

Hi Bo - thanks for the advice.

So, I see what you are talking about - I think. When you say presets, do you mean instruments? Because not all of the instruments have release tails mapped. For example, if I load HN Sustain F, which resides in the Basic (Main) folder, there are no RT's. However, if I load HN Sustain F, which resides in the Realease Triggers folder, now there are RT's. Ok, that works well. But there are only three instruments in the Realease Triggers folder. What about the rest of them? Am I supposed to copy those RT zones, and paste them into all of the other instruments?

Thanks again.

Only the Sustain and Stopped patches have REL. Articulations like staccato, marcato, etc. don't need REL because the note (sample) will play all the way through - beginning to end. The long or held patches need RELs because you will probably end the note (sample) before the recorded sample ends so there needs to be an artificial way to "hear the hall". Otherwise the Sus notes may sound chopped off when you release the key. The non-REL instruments have a long decay setting which helps prevent this chopped off sound.

Personally, I have found the REL instruments to work best on phrase endings and other isolated notes. To use the REL all the time really makes phrases muddy to my ears.

Hey thanks for that info.

"Articulations like staccato, marcato, etc. don't need REL because the note (sample) will play all the way through - beginning to end."

Ok - gotcha there. But now comes the problem that I jhave actually noticed before - when I play the note to the end, the RT sounds after the note has been released. Release the note before it ends, and all is fine. Release the note after it ends, and the RT jumps out at me - sounding completely unnatural. The only way I see around his, is to make sure that no note plays past the ending. Does anyone else see this? Any other work around? I have K2.1.1., btw.

Thanks again!

bump.........

Quote Originally Posted by RiffWraith
    Release the note after it ends, and the RT jumps out at me - sounding completely unnatural...Any other work around?
    Yes, this is a problem with RTs. MIDI note on plays one sound and MIDI note off plays the release sound. I have 4 ways around this issue. If someone else has others solutions please chime in.

1. As you suggested, you can make sure no note is held beyond it's sound file length. Edit any offending notes manually.

2. Use both Sus instruments - with and without REL. Use the non-REL for those extra long notes. Your notes will be split on the 2 MIDI channels. This should not use up additional RAM as the samples should be the same files and will come from one pool.

3. Make the REL groups toggle on/off with a MIDI controller (I've used a pedal). Turn the REL groups on and off as needed.

4. Create a keyswitch instrument to toggle between the REL and non-REL patches.

Let me know if you need any help making one of these work.

"Yes, this is a problem with RTs"

Ugh - NOT what I wanted to hear.

You know what's funny - I spoke to someone at NI's tech support, and they said this anomoly should NOT be happening. Hmmmm... I sent an email to the dude I spoke with, and he was going to forward it along to Germany. See what happens...

But thank you very much for taking the time to point out those suggestions. I am hoping they will come in handy.

Cheers.

Go Back to forum