• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: FullSail

Question FullSail

Hey everyone I was surfing the net and came across Fullsail.com. It's a school for music, film, and video production and thought it looked pretty interesting. Has anyone attended this school or anything like it and do you feel it is worth looking into more? I spoke to a producer at one of the largest Acoustic Studios in the world who told me its not a good school mainly because you are in more of a classroom setting and you don't get to use what you learn on a regular basis. He suggested a different rout but I think his rout would take me into more of a live recording environment and I think I like the idea of the midi environment instead. Just looking to get any positive or negative feedback on such a school.

I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Re: FullSail

A few old co-workers of mine had went. This was about 12-15 years ago. They said it was a great experience, and they learned alot. But, afterword, they wound up getting recording studio jobs starting fom the ground up anyway. The apprentice to the apprentice to the assistant kinda thing. One of them actually started at the Hit Factory, the other at Sony, and the other two at smaller studios. Did the first two get their jobs because they went to FS? Probably not - there were others there in the same position that did not go to a school. Did they have more knowledge than the others that didn't go to school when they walked in the door? You bet. Did this help them to move up quicker? Of course not; there are so many factors involved - the biggest being personality. The BIG difference, IMHO, is the people that went to FS paid for their education, where as the people that walked in off the street with no schooling got paid for their education. Again - big difference when you move up, are in the same position as the next guy who didn't go to school, you both are making the same money, and he is not paying student loans. Of course this is a get-a-job-at-a-studio scenario, but the point is it really isn't necessary.

To a small extent, schools like this really do prepare you for work in the field - from a technical side, but nothing will prepare you for working in a music recording studio like working in a music recording studio - trust me on that one.

I completely agree with Lee - most of what you need to know you can and will learn hands on, either interning, or working for a small wage. If you have no backround at all, you will learn quite a good deal at Full Sail, but no school can teach you the ins and outs of the business, how to deal with different people and different personalities, and how to be a better engineer and/or musician.

How can anybody who doesn't know a thing about Full Sail or especially Seth say whether or not it's a good idea for him?

Well maybe because they think that there isn't sooo much to learn really.

I personally don't think that there are huge secrets that will take you years to learn. Months maybe, but depends on youir determination. I study composition and know that I couldn't be the same persona had I not studied. But with midi things are (still) rather simpler. Very simple I reckon. Of course you could use someone to show you some tricks here and there, but in all honesty it is nothing that a friend can't show you.

I deal with oprchestral mock-ups in my work, and get many responses kinda like "OMG how did you do that". Well... load the sampler and the articulations you need, put the midi right and fix the velocities, fix the tempo, fix the automation adn mix, put reverb, done! (<-ok over over simplified here, but you get the idea).

Vocals? Same procedures apply. I don't think that you need more than 1 day (and many days of practice of course, but 1 day of learning) to get an idea of what to do with a vocal line (reverb, eq, compression, maybe something else if you're really creative...).

We are not at the point that learning Cubase needs a degree course yet! Maybe in the future, but for now, sit down get the program and play with it for some months. If you really don't know whats going on, chances are that you're not ready to be a pro, so you're not wasting your money. If you know what's going on, you won't have much trouble.

But then again, I always think that I personally, learn best if I have someone showing me things, and stuff, so it is up to the person. If someone wants to learn that way, there is nothing bad to it really. (apart from my almost rant up there... )

Bottom line,

In this buisnes it's the experience that counts and not the degrees. (of course I personally hope that a PhD in music will count towards something... not towrds my production skills, but my composing ones and my passion for music... :-/)

PS. If spelling counts as well then I'm pretty much screwed!

True Story for what it is worth...

Years ago when I was getting into 3D animation there were very few schools that taught it (I'm 45) I was contemplating going to a school to learn 3D but decided to remortgage my house, take out a 20 thousand dollar loan and buy a used Silicon Graphics 4D-20 (16 megs of ram, 300 megabyte HD, and a 10mhz Risc processor, 10,000 bucks) and a 3D animation package called Vertigo (base package, could not even boolean without an upgrade! another 10,000 bucks) Spent a ton of evenings learning how to reinstall Unix, network it to my Amiga, and hone my 3D chops.

After about a year doing freelance logo flips for a local TV station I got offered a job at the 3D software company I bought the software (conveniently located in vancouver where i lived.) I became there head trainer and trained companies all over the states. Got offered a job in Phoenix and have moved up the ladder (and all around the states) to work at a large company.

In short, I have no degree, only 6 months of college where I thought I was going to be a dentist (dropped out to join a rock band. sorry mom and dad!) I work along side guys who are 35 years old and are still paying off student loans to fancy schools for their design degrees.

I have learned all I know from "pushing the wrong button, reading a ton of dry manuals, and brute forcing my way through projects". I continue to teach myself new software and strive everyday to learn, learn, learn.

I cannot comment on going to a school like Full Sail, because I have not gone there. I do think that there are schools out there that lure kids in with fancy ads of a mixing desk, or a bank of computers running Maya. Writing great music or creating great design is not only learned from a book. It's learned from doing it over and over yourself. Making mistakes, writing bad music to get to the good stuff. No school is going to eliminate those moments (although it may elleviate some of it.)

I don't regret my path. Of course i could be a bum pushing my 20k investment around in a shopping cart! My humble opinion is to continue to do and learn what you love. If you are a self starter then you might be better off using the dough your about to spend on school to buy some good gear and start your career now. If you find it hard to learn by yourself then perhaps school is a good way to go. At the end of the day, you music or your design is going to get you the gig. Not the diploma from a school.

3 cents,

PS shoulda become a dentist!
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Decided to visit fullsail.com

Well in the requirments it says:

If you have a sincere passion for a career in the entertainment media production, and you have earned a standard high school diploma or GED, you already posses the necessary foundation.

Every 18 year old (unless in the States things are different), who thinks that knows music can go there right? This can't be right! This can't be good, can it?

For what it's worth- I have a young friend(17) who has enrolled in the Full Sail school in Florida. He just sent me an e-mail that explained in depth what he is learning. He has had a lot of experience on SS boards-Amek etc.Pro tools- the works. He's learned to set up a session,choose mics etc.

Through his teachers, he has helped on major concerts-from running cable to twisting knobs. He often gets work(through the school) that is a level above interns-low pay. So in the end, my impression is this young man is learning a tremendous amount and is well on his way to a bright career. e may very well have created those opportunities for himself as he is one sharp punk.

Regardless, it was his Full Sail ex[erience that got him on the road. Hardly a waste of time. In truth, 3 1/2 years of college and private art school taught me very little. But it's where I met the people that later contributed a great deal to the fundamentals of my career. It's whatever it takes, in my opinion.

There is nothing a college teaches that you can't learn in the real world - but you will learn it faster in school. Studies have shown that a student entering the workforce with a 4 year degree is at the same level as somebody 10 to 12 years on the job but with no college education.

College studies can motivate you, give you hands on skills, and help you avoid typical pitfalls. One still needs to be proactive. Learn lots, be involved, make contacts and utilize them to help propel your career. Waving a degree at your potential employers won't get you the job - especially in the "arts".

I could attend a cooking school to learn how to cook. In the end, I either had it in me or didn't. I have a close friend who just dropped over 100K on his education for a composition degree, BM. Although he now knows how to write for WW's better, he still can't do it and is now realizing it.

Im not saying college isn't important. In the end, if you have the chops, the drive, and are insane enough to work hard for the goal, then you can reach the endpoint. Some might argue that you will get there a little quicker with an education. (Some aruge otherwise)
    Sean Beeson
    Composer for videogames, film and television

You can learn techniques of compostion, but not become a composer ever... And you can be a composer without knowing ~~~~ about techniques of composition...

It's just that it seems that you can get the same results adn save 55k $... It really depends on who we are talking about.

without knowing anything about seth, I can't say a lot of things. If I knew something about him (age, what he actually knows about music... and maybe (because I'm tlaking about he, but you never know...)) then we could all give better adivce I reckon...

Cause being 18 and going off to college could be a good idea maybe. Being 25 could be a bad idea maybe... Being 14 could be plainly immature and early in 99% of the cases... :-/

Go Back to forum