• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar 5 and GM Soundset issue

Share/Bookmark

Sonar 5 and GM Soundset issue

I'm using Sonar 5 on a laptop with integrated sound and very poor audio/midi support. For some reason, in the midi devices dialog in sonar, I can get the midi mapper, but no Microsoft GM/GS synth (the thing that's supposed to come with XP, right?) At first I just attributed it to the really bad audio setup, and didn't really get bothered much by it since my work is routed through VSTs. But now I'm finding myself in a position when I need that MIDI output. Why won't it show up in Sonar? It appears in Sibelius!

I've tried the reinstall of sonar and already applied the 5.0.1 patch. No dice.

Thanks,

Reegs

Re: Sonar 5 and GM Soundset issue

I don't have an answer for you on this. The best bet for an answer is on the Cakewalk Sonar forums.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I'll try over there.

Update:
    Wow, those folks sure are fast! Turns out the GM/GS soundset output requires the driver type to be MME.

Glad they could help you over there. The Sonar forum is quite good although I haven't had too many problems with Sonar that I couldn't fix myself.

MME isn't the best way to go. I think Sonar comes with a Roland synth plugin that should have most of the sounds that you need although I don't remember if it has a GM soundset.

Jim

It does, (the Roland Groovesynth), and I mostly use ASIO or WDM drivers. I just needed playback through the actual soundcard for a project.

Go Back to forum