• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anyone Fancy Writing a Book?

Anyone Fancy Writing a Book?

This is for all you superusers of GPO & JABB out there. Any of you interested writing a book devoted specifically to GPO/JABB, something along the lines of GPO/JABB Power Users, or similar. A really comprehensive treatment of aboslootly everything in GPO/JABB and how it is used with the most popular DAWS such as Sonar/Cubase etc.

I reckon you could make a bundle on this. I'm sure users would pay at least $35 bucks for a really good book - look at Gilreaths Midi Orchstration book - costs a fortune but it still sells (I got my library to buy 2 copies).

Just a thought, Cheers, ColinD

Re: Anyone Fancy Writing a Book?

I wonder how many copies of the Gilreaths MIDI Orchestration book have been sold. From the standpoint of an author or book publisher, this would be a very small market.

How many Garritan product owners are there? How many owners of Sibelius and Finale and the other notation programs? This would be the target audience.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Last month I had a conversation with Thomas Rudolph, who has written the definitive book on Finale, and who is publishing a second book on Sibelius.

He reminded me that the market for his books is small. Only 10% of people who use MIDI and digital audio ever use notation software. I would imagine that the number of Garritan users (including those using Garritan through Finale or Sibelius) would be a subset of that group.

Dr. Thomas has published his books from the material he created to teach college courses each year; his books exist because of the work he's done to prepare teaching materials. He seems to be of the opinion that nobody would obtain a good return on his or her investment of time if one were to write such a book with profit as a motive.

If anybody has any other ideas on this, I'd like to hear them. I would like to work on a project editing, co-writing or ghost-writing a book with somebody who is a composition and notation expert.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

If it's determined there is demand enough to make the project viable, I would be interested in talking about collaboration on it. Since I use GPO/JABB/Strad and Sibelius all almost every day, I would consider myself qualified. I've also done a lot of English language writing and editing. Feel free to send me a private message if you'd like.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Hi. i suppose you also have to think of the kudos of writing such a book. OK there may not be much money in it up front - I don't know. What's the spin off in other areas? - invited to trade shows, etc. I suppose only Gary knows how many copies of GPO/JABB have been sold, but how many newbies like me would be tempted into it if their are good books available.

I'm thinking here of Mary Plummers book on Garageband. I have maybe 50 students a year on my Computer Music course and I recommend they buy this book. As GPO/JABB make their way into Music Schools/Computer Schools etc there is an audience for this type of book (I think/hope). I'm hoping in a year or 2 to add GPO/JABB to my syllabus, I'm sure there are others out there who may think the same thing.

If you have enough experience of using GPO/JABB - which I don't - then it's something to consider. It's up to you, there are enough publishers out there and I'm sure Gary/Tom would be a great source of help.

Cheers, CD

Orcas Island

This is something Tom and I talked about. The problem with a book is that things are rapidly changing and by the time something is commtited to print, an update comes out and some of the information is soon rendered obsolete. Not only with GPO, but with operating systems, hardware and sequencing and notation apps. On the internet it is easy to keep tutorials updated but the question with a book is how to keep it updated. Our inclination is to do an e-book or video tutorials.

A book still may be a good idea and worth pursuing. What do others think? Would you buy such a book?

Thanks for the suggestion Maestro-D.

Gary Garritan

I think the e-Book & video tutorials are an excellent idea. I assume GPO is pretty stable at the moment with no major changes planned. The latest releases of Sonar/Cubase are probably only going to see minor updates at least for a couple of years.

I think if you have a couple of years without major updates then a hard book might be a good idea. The authors can always update it. Mary Plummer's book on Garageband 3 has a jacket price of $40 US although you can probably get it cheaper on Amazon. The great thing about a hard book is you can read it on the bus/train etc. Plus most books these days have their associated web sites for downloading example files etc.

I would certainly buy it and recommend it to students.

Cheers, Colin-D

These are just my thoughts.

If a book were to focus on how to apply the techniques of orchestration to the Garritan library's performance controls, articulations, and key switches, and not to emphasize things like operating systems and user interfaces, it might have more value and remain relevant for a longer period of time.

Also, I think an independently-written book (not by the Garritan company per se) might have more advantages. It could be inclined to cover a broader range of products than just those made by Garritan, thus increasing the size of its potential audience.

I continue to be impressed by the range of Garritan-specific tutorials that various forum members have written and made available for Garritan to distribute for free from this and other web sites.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

How about a Wiki? I can get one set up in a few minutes if needed.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

NW Illinois

I guess I'm in the minority here. I think if a book was printed it would be obsolete before the ink was dry. Things change after each update. What would happen when GPOA gets released. You'd need a different book for that. This forum is the place to ask questions, learn, give help. And it's free.

And if you really want to learn about GPO, just do a search for all posts by Tom Hopkins. Read 'em all.

Go Back to forum