• Register
  • Help

Topic: Antigone - a Greek Tragedy

Antigone - a Greek Tragedy

Recently, my theater class at school performed Sophocle's Antigone. I wrote an original score and performed as Creon, king of Thebes. As part of our conceptualization of the production, we decided to take a "modern" approach to the play, in the same vein of, for example, Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet. While the dialogue was unchanged, the costumes, props, and scenery suggested a "business world," which happened to complement the theme of woman vs. man present in the play. As for the music, I took a similarly modern approach, aiming for a blend between strict orchestral (which is my usual style) and jazz. I also utilized leitmotif, so some melodic strains for Antigone and Creon are heard throughout. The score is relatively short - mostly a series of entrance/exit music. I've mixed it all into a medley (the URL? don't ask, I just borrow web space where I can).

So, this is just a show-and-tell deal. The instruments are completely GPO and JABB (the more I use the saxophones the more I like them), with Sonitus:fx reverb. The score was notated and played back with Overture 4.0 (no actual performance involved in this).

You can read about Antigone here.

Re: Antigone - a Greek Tragedy

Sounds nice. Congrats!

Very imaginative work!

While listening I was completely captivated by the scope of textures here.

The transitions between these elements were nicely done!..nothing forced,
    and well thought.

Great job!

I enjoyed this medley, very sure handling of the instruments, and some nice dramatic sound design elements.

Nice Work. !!

regards Joe

Great job on this! Some strong, highly ingenious work
    in this... perhaps you'll "demedleyify" some of this
    at a later time, so we can hear more of the writing
    in depth?

My best,

Go Back to forum