• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The CD is dead. Long live the CD!

Share/Bookmark

The CD is dead. Long live the CD!

Re: The CD is dead. Long live the CD!

And then he turns around and says CD's were 70% of the market with something like $7billion in sales for 2006.
    Kind of being sensational about an obvious trend isn't he...

Best.

I also loved the quote about not giving your grandmother an itunes present. Hey, once the baby boomers start to retire, they will want an itunes gift! I personally have not bought a CD in over 2 years! Why would I want to?

Peace

rikp

Quote Originally Posted by rikp
    I also loved the quote about not giving your grandmother an itunes present. Hey, once the baby boomers start to retire, they will want an itunes gift! I personally have not bought a CD in over 2 years! Why would I want to?

Peace

rikp
    Well ... try to get anything by Walter Piston or
    "Stavinsky Conducts Stavinsky"
    on iTunes ............ Bwaaaa Ha Ha LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Well ... try to get anything by Walter Piston or
    "Stavinsky Conducts Stavinsky"
    on iTunes ............ Bwaaaa Ha Ha LOL
    Walter Piston is available, as a matter of fact. Bwaaaa Ha Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by rikp

Peace

rikp
    I buy CD's for a lot of reasons, most notably better fidelity than an .mp3. I also like having the original packaging with inserts. I like the collecting aspect of it. I also like having my entire collection loaded into iTunes ripped at 320kbps as opposed to whatever rate a download would be. When I rip my own CD's, there's no issue of licenses and which computer or iPod I can put it on also. I like being more in control of my media...

plus finding many more exotic titles - world music, experimental stuff, avant garde and post-harmonic jazz, etc. There is a whole world of music that will never be found on iTunes...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by faintwhitenoise
    I buy CD's for a lot of reasons, most notably better fidelity than an .mp3. I also like having the original packaging with inserts. I like the collecting aspect of it. I also like having my entire collection loaded into iTunes ripped at 320kbps as opposed to whatever rate a download would be. When I rip my own CD's, there's no issue of licenses and which computer or iPod I can put it on also. I like being more in control of my media...
    Me too, for the same reasons! CDs are best when possible.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Me too. Not so into the physical collecting aspect as I immediately dump all CDs to the computer and play them from there even at home. But I then have them at full .wav file fidelity, and with no tied front end or copy protection malarky. We don't use iTunes but my wife has an mp3 player and she can just drag and drop whatever she wants back and forth from the computer.

I'm afraid I just can't adjust to the idea of limited purchase rights. If I buy a recording I want to be able to do as I please with it.

Indeed I do collect CDs (not anymore.. used to rather)...

And the thing is that I do it for the same purpose. Collecting, having the ability to copy and make copies for myself (1 for the car, 1 for my mp3 players, 1 in a collection of songs, another collection and so on)...

Of course with a DVD now, things will only get more...interesting (5:1 symphony...) not a bad idea indeed. Plus when things evolve even further, you will buy a SDDVD (Super Duper DVD) which will hold an entire concert in 3-d images plus 64-bit 2024 Khz (or something) sample rate for all tracks.

Mp3s are slowly dying, as the internet is moving upwards. While with a 512 k a 30 Mb files would take... a lot of time, with a 16 Mbps connection it takes less than a minute. So, why an mp3 when you can have a WAV file at it's place? Not to metio that there are mp3 players (mobile) with 16 Gb of hard disk space. That's 20 Albums. At WAV qulaity. What else do you need ?

Go Back to forum