• Register
  • Help

Topic: System requirements questions

Share/Bookmark

System requirements questions

Hello.

My girlfriend is moving to India within the next year or two to do research, and I am going along to study indian percussion and music. I want to bring along my studio setup, but need to change from desktop to laptop (I currently have a G4 dual 1gHZ mac with Digital Performer 4.6 and a PC desktop running GigaSampler)

I was thinking about selling my PC and buy a PC Laptop to continue using GS, but wondered if maybe I will switch to GPO (using it with DP 4.6 on my Powerbook). I will probably buy a MacBookPro soon. Is it sufficient to use only the MacBookPro, or will I experience hick-ups and crashes? I will have both GPO, additional Virtual instruments and recorded audio all running at the same time.

The soundcard will probably be a MOTU Traveler

Probably the best thing is to use a separate PC, but I like to travel as light as possible.

Another thought I had was buying a MacBookPro and keep my current Powerbook (1.33 GHz/ 1.5 GB ram) as a sampler/VI host.

Any thoughts?

Re: System requirements questions

I read a post on the Finale forum, from a user who's bought a Macbook Pro. He's convinced that for the first time he won't need a powerful Mac desktop as his audio workstation. The Macbook will do it all. He's just waiting for NI to make Kontakt a universal binary app.

Hope this helps a little,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    I read a post on the Finale forum, from a user who's bought a Macbook Pro. He's convinced that for the first time he won't need a powerful Mac desktop as his audio workstation. The Macbook will do it all. He's just waiting for NI to make Kontakt a universal binary app.

Hope this helps a little,
    Jeff
    The K2 universal binary is due to be released in October of 2006.

It is October 30 today, so I'm 16% positive we'll be seeing the release tonight at 10:30pm GMT.

I use two laptops (see signature). The PC holds the GPO library and JABB plus Steinberg's V-Stack which is a VST host.

The Mac laptop runs DP 4.61 and also Altiverb5. The two communicate via 32 MIDI channels and 1 instance of ADAT lightpipe (8 channels of audio in one cable). Can't host more than one reverb at a time, but with planning, can record MIDI to audio with no problem. Once that is done, individual instruments or sections can be mixed without too much CPU intensity. It takes work-arounds to accomplish your goal, but if you have the patience, two laptops can be fun to operate.

The PC laptop hosts the RME Digiface audio interface. Mac, the Traveler.

Hope this helps a little.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    I use two laptops (see signature). The PC holds the GPO library and JABB plus Steinberg's V-Stack which is a VST host.

The Mac laptop runs DP 4.61 and also Altiverb5. The two communicate via 32 MIDI channels and 1 instance of ADAT lightpipe (8 channels of audio in one cable). Can't host more than one reverb at a time, but with planning, can record MIDI to audio with no problem. Once that is done, individual instruments or sections can be mixed without too much CPU intensity. It takes work-arounds to accomplish your goal, but if you have the patience, two laptops can be fun to operate.

The PC laptop hosts the RME Digiface audio interface. Mac, the Traveler.

Hope this helps a little.

Jack
    Thank you all for great feedback.

I am using the same system now, only with desktop computers (RME hammerfall on the PC and MOTU 2408 on the Mac), so I guess it will be the same kind of setup.

My main question was ac tually if the MacBookPro is powerful enough to do it all without problems.

BTW. In order to travel as light as possible, I have been lookjing at tyhe Dell XPS M1210 laptop. Is this powerful enopugh to do the GigaSampler job?

As far as I know, NO WAY. Others have said the same thing. You will definitely need TWO computers for any worthwhile results. The MacBookPro cannot do it alone.........

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum