• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL vs QLSO Gold

Share/Bookmark

VSL vs QLSO Gold

I'm sure that this discussion has been done to death but I have a question relating to my hardware situation:
    I have two pc's one for Cubase SX3 and the other for Gigastudio3.
    I am considering QLSO Gold(xp possibly as well) versus Opus 1&2.
    My dilemma is the following : If I put Gold on my Giga machine I don't think I can run GS at the same time. If I put it in my Cubase machine I will use up resources for other things very fast. The reason I am considering Opus is so I can solve my dual machine issue. It will laod alond side all my other samples in its own machine.
    Opinions?

Re: VSL vs QLSO Gold

You can use steinbergs V-stack along side Gigastudio. In this you could load Gold.

An additional advantage is that after you have filled GigaStudios ram with samples you can still load samples into V-Stack to use the last bit of Ram which GS can't access.

Food for throught.

I beleive V-Stack costs around $49

Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    I'm sure that this discussion has been done to death but I have a question relating to my hardware situation:
    I have two pc's one for Cubase SX3 and the other for Gigastudio3.
    I am considering QLSO Gold(xp possibly as well) versus Opus 1&2.
    My dilemma is the following : If I put Gold on my Giga machine I don't think I can run GS at the same time. If I put it in my Cubase machine I will use up resources for other things very fast. The reason I am considering Opus is so I can solve my dual machine issue. It will laod alond side all my other samples in its own machine.
    Opinions?
    Correct. You CANNOT run GigaStudio concurrently with any NI product. You can run one or the other on the same machine, but not both at the same time.

These libraries have two totally different sounds, and you work with them completely differently when producing your music.

What you can consider is looking at GVI for your Cubase system which now gives you two Giga Sysems.

Or, you can consider getting K2, install that on both machines, get Opus 1 in the Kontakt format (which eliminates the need for the Performance Tool because of scripting), and allows you to run Gold on the other machine. I don't own Gold, so you'll need to see if you can install it on two machines concurrently.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by peter269
    Correct. You CANNOT run GigaStudio concurrently with any NI product. You can run one or the other on the same machine, but not both at the same time.
    With the exception I mentioned above

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    With the exception I mentioned above
    I can also run K2 on my giga system at the same time usinf FX-Teleport. I beleive it worked because both apps use their own soundcard/drivers...

P.S. I would recommend Brainspaw Forte instead of V-Stack. V-Stack use tow much cpu if you ask me...at least it did on my Pc.

Hi Slinky,
    You can install Gold on both computers as you get two licenses. This allows you to spread the processor load over two CPU's when you're not working with Giga. That is a good idea anyway, as one PC can easily be brought to its knees when you try to emulate a whole orchestra.
    If you decide to get K2 you can also install K2 on 2 computers, so that would be the best solution. If you need Giga, you simply load NI-based stuff on the SX pc keeping the other machine a dedicated Giga machine.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Quote Originally Posted by peter269

What you can consider is looking at GVI for your Cubase system which now gives you two Giga Sysems.
    Or use GVi on your giga system with FX-T or a second soundcard and install Gold + K2 on the other machine with Cubase(they both work perfectly together). The idea here is to have all you gig sounds on one system, and your K2 sounds on the other...need less hard drive space. And it seems more logical that way...at least to me..

Or, you can consider getting K2, install that on both machines, get Opus 1 in the Kontakt format (which eliminates the need for the Performance Tool because of scripting), and allows you to run Gold on the other machine. I don't own Gold, so you'll need to see if you can install it on two machines concurrently.
    That's defenatly what he should do. The main reason I'm saying this is that i can load at least 4x the # of instrument in K2(with a little tweak) that i would in GS...maybe more, cause i stoped counting . I hate to say this about giga but...Well I'm switching to K2 and I'm not gonna look back...The script and VST compatibility played a big part in my desicion to...

You can install gold/K2 on 2 different system according to NI.

I've been using both Gold xp and Opus lately and i must say they complet each other very well...Well if you can add VSL chamber strings to this it's even better... Gold 11 Violins layered with VSL chamber strings is really great, they blend perfectly. You kind get the best of both world, That beatifull hall and the crisp attack of VSL...I plan to add VSL solo strings ASAP to layer as well.

An other example of blending these tow: I was really dissapointed with the woodwinds in gold probably because gold is the far mic recording and so the attack on theses samples didn't cut it for me. But if i load a leg solo flute(VSL) on top of the flut ensemble(gold xp)? Same thing as the strings...the best of both world...I love to mix VSL with gold, Actually i layer everything with VSL but i must say the Gold is the one the fit more right out of the box...

You might also note that K2 comes with a nice VSL package, so maybe you want to order K2 and see what's in there before ordering Opus...Athough i remend it anyway....

Go Back to forum