Latest System Tweaks?

I'm building a new computer.

Can someone direct me to a site listing the latest
    tweaks for Win XP for audio? I'm using a Core 2 Duo
    w/ 4GB RAM

Thanks

Jim

Re: Latest System Tweaks?

Configure the indexing service so it won't touch your audio drive -- shouldn't be necessary, but it won't hurt. Make sure that Automatic Updates are set to run at a time you're not there (default = 3am, so move it to 9am if you're prone to late-night recording sessions like me). Leave everything else alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg
    Configure the indexing service so it won't touch your audio drive -- shouldn't be necessary, but it won't hurt. Make sure that Automatic Updates are set to run at a time you're not there (default = 3am, so move it to 9am if you're prone to late-night recording sessions like me). Leave everything else alone.

Boy, that sure isn't the way it used to be. You're sure?

BTW: Thanks.

Jim

Most of the "old" tweaks are totally unnecessary these days as PCs are so much more powerful than they used to be. The only other things that you might want to consider is not allowing Windows to "turn off" your USB ports if you have any dongles plugged in, and using the /3gig switch if you want to use up to 3GB within one project. If you are going to be running samples outside of your project (in a standalone app) then this might not be necessary.

D

The main tweak I do is get rid of the 'eye candy'. Right click on My Computer and select Properties. Click on the Advanced tab. Then select the Settings button in the Performance section. On the Visual Effects tab I select 'Adjust for best performance' which will shut off the visual effects. These things just eat up memory and CPU power.

I disable virus scanners, firewalls and other background programs not necessary for making music. I recommend that you have a hardware firewall which is found in most wired or wireless routers these days. If you don't have the hardware firewall, then disconnect your network cable before disabling virus scanners and firewalls.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Most of the "old" tweaks are totally unnecessary these days as PCs are so much more powerful than they used to be.
    I don't know whether these tweaks are the "old" ones, but I employed most of them on my Giga system:

http://musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php

TASCAM now refers to that same page in its Giga FAQ:

http://tascamgiga.com/faq.html#WinXP

There's always something of a toss-up between not wanting to mess with a system that's already performing satisfactorily, and not wanting even the tiniest thing to interfere with an important recording/mixing session.

I suggest (having done so myself) employing every one of those tuning tips that you understand, and inquiring (here or elsewhere) about the significance and consequences of the ones that you don't understand.
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Boy, that sure isn't the way it used to be.
    Yes it is. "Tweak" articles have always been about selling magazines (or driving webpage hits), not improving performance. In the vast majority of cases, they either don't help or run the risk of screwing something up.

When was the last time you saw Mark Russinovich, Jeffrey Richter, or other respected Windows authorities recommend a "tweak" site? The reason fewer and less invasive "tweaks" are being passed around now is that nontechnical people are finally getting the message.

The main tweak I do is get rid of the 'eye candy'. Right click on My Computer and select Properties. Click on the Advanced tab. Then select the Settings button in the Performance section. On the Visual Effects tab I select 'Adjust for best performance' which will shut off the visual effects. These things just eat up memory and CPU power.
    Actually, "pretty" effects and normal effects are both accelerated by your video hardware. I suppose it's possible for a poorly written (or extremely old) video driver to cause excess CPU usage during some effects & not others. IMO, you shouldn't be playing with window animations during real-time recording anyway!

I disable virus scanners, firewalls and other background programs not necessary for making music.
    This is a good one. I don't run these kinds of programs personally, but if you do, make sure at minimum you configure them not to touch your audio drives. Disabling them entirely while the network is unplugged couldn't hurt.

I suggest (having done so myself) employing only tuning tips that you understand, and inquiring (here or elsewhere) about the significance and consequences of the ones that you don't understand.
    Absolutely. There are lots of knowledgeable posters here -- feel free to ask about any specific issues you're having.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg
    Thanks to you Richard and everyone else for the advice.

I dont quite understand what you mean in the above when you say to "configure the idexing service so it wont touch the hard drive".

I'm not hooked to the net on this computer so.....

Thanks again,

Jim

I think that many of the tweaks are necessary. "Let Windows do its job" doesn't really cut it for me. Windows has A LOT of jobs, 50% of which I don't need happening while I'm working. Granted, it takes a bit of know-how to properly tweak it if you're messing with services or the registry. But the fact is, the combined effect of each of the tiny tweaks is huge. You can save a lot of memory, not to mention speeding up the GUI.
    It does depend on how much memory, etc you've got as well, but interface tweaks (like menushowdelay) can go a long way even if you've got 4gb of memory and a 98ghz processor because it is timer-based.

After many a tweak, my audio latency went WAY down...not only in milliseconds, but it was enough that it made a difference in how i record.

Quote Originally Posted by derekderek
    I think that many of the tweaks are necessary.
    Which ones? And who do I believe?

Jim

Go Back to forum