• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sketch #1 For Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Sketch #1 For Orchestra

I think that this link will work.

http://www.pianodocdm.com/sketch.mp3

This is a second composition for orchestra using GPO this time with GOS as well.

It was composed with Finale 2007 and mixed with Sonar 5. Gigastudio 3 was used to include GOS

Instrumentation: Piccolo, 2 Flutes, 2Oboes, English Horn, 2Bb Clarinets, 2 Bassoons, 4 Horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, Tuba, Timpani, various percussion and strings including a solo violin. Strings include both GPO and GOS.

Hope you like it and thanks for listening.

Any comments would be very welcome.

PS if the link isn't successful let me know.

Thanks

David M.
    Pianodoc

Re: Sketch #1 For Orchestra

Nice work on this! I couldn't get a good sense of the recording since I'm listening on my computer speakers, but it sounded very dry. What reverb did you use? I'll give this another listen when I get home, check it out on the good speakers.

I really enjoyed the writing. There's a lot of colorful orchestration and some very interesting harmonies (not as in twirling-my-moustache-interesting, but engaging!). I like the clusters and changes in mood. That violin line about 2/3 through is so cool! Something else that really strikes me is your brass writing throughout. Very nice job on this!

jmc:

Thanks so much for your comments.

I used the Ambience reverb included with GPO. I have experimented a little with Gigapulse but my experience mixing and tweaking the instruments is very limited and ir takes about all the time I have just to get the notes down.

I'm interested in learning how to get a better sound, though, and hope that through the forum I'll be able to develop my skills in these areas.

Thanks again for listening and your comments.

David M.
    Pianodoc

Quote Originally Posted by pianodoc
    jmc:

I used the Ambience reverb included with GPO. I have experimented a little with Gigapulse but my experience mixing and tweaking the instruments is very limited and ir takes about all the time I have just to get the notes down.

I'm interested in learning how to get a better sound, though, and hope that through the forum I'll be able to develop my skills in these areas.

Pianodoc
    David,

I agree a little dry in sound. I use Ambience Reverbe all the time, if I didn't ti would sound like it was played in an anechoic chamber. I always us the default settings and set the Decay Time about 1300 and the Diffusion around 30% depending on the piece. This seems to give me a good balance of spacial fullness and not allow fast passages to blend too much.

But, you have a very nice piece and your efforts show in the contents.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Interesting and engaging writing in this one, David.
    There's a fair amount of intricate thinking in this; really
    well done contrapuntal work and the implications of
    an organic and more richly harmonic style.

Bit by bit the sound treatment end of things will come
    together for you -- like every soul in this forum, it'll
    take time and experimenting to fully get the hang of
    it (if anyone ever really does... lol).

Keep 'em coming, David!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks to all of you for your time listening and your comments.

Gary, I'll try the ambience settings and compare them with what I've been using.

David, Thanks for your comments. I've enjoyed listening to your work and appreciate your remarks.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to listen.

David M

Hope you like it and thanks for listening.

Pianodoc
    Enjoyed this a lot David, especially the contrapuntal style which is right up my street. Kept my attention throughout - and an unexpected but perfect ending. After a few bars, I allowed a bit of reverb to kick in (courtesy of my sound card) and as others have suggested, this made a big difference.

Regards, Graham

Graham:

Thanks for listening and your comments. It was fun to write and even more fun to hve others hear it.

David

Gary, I'll try the ambience settings and compare them with what I've been using.
    David M
    David,

I made an error in my suggestion. It should be Decay Time about 1300 and the Diffusion around 30%, not Gating.

Good luck with your work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary:

Thanks for clarifying these settings. I haven't had an opportunity to try them yet but hopefully over the weekend can look into the reverb settings and listen to the effect.

David

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast