• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonar 5 Available for Cheap Purchase

Share/Bookmark

Sonar 5 Available for Cheap Purchase

Hi folks. This may well not be the correct forum for this thread but I didn't know which forum would be. I am not a very experienced user. When I had my music PC built, I had Sonar 4 PE put on it. Then Sonar 5 came out and I bought it. But literally before I ever even found the time to install it, Sonar 6 came out and I bought that as well.

Bottom line: I have a copy of Sonar 5 Producer Edition that I will not be using. It has never been installed on any machine. This is not bootleg software nor is it software that someone has already used. This is a brand new copy never installed or run on any machine.

I would be willing to sell it to someone who wants it for $75. Because it was an upgrade for me, I wouldn't want to sell it for any more than that, although if you are not a Sonar user, it would cost you much more than that.

Anyway, if you're interested, you can drop me an email at robertgoldberg@comcast.net and we can work things out. I have a PayPal account so that would probably be the best way to arrange the transfer of money.

Let me know if you're interested. And if I should not have put this thread here, I apologize to the moderators of the forum.

Rob

Re: Sonar 5 Available for Cheap Purchase

I don't think you can sell an upgrade...I'd get in touch with the compagny to make sure it's legal first.

P.S. I'm sur you will sell it in no time if it's legal...

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    I don't think you can sell an upgrade...I'd get in touch with the compagny to make sure it's legal first.

P.S. I'm sur you will sell it in no time if it's legal...

Good luck!
    Hmm....not sure.

Maybe you can. If Sonar Liceneses are sellable, and an "upgrade" in this case is a brand new fully funtional piece of software in a box that is only called as such because it is sold at a discount to a registered user, then I can't see why that user couldn't sell the unregistered s/w (especially to another registered user) at his or her own price.

Can anyone clarify, or shall Geronimo and I Duke it out?

Belbin

Well i suppose he could sell the upgrade with the original copy(sonar 4)...assuming V6 is not an upgrade...But selling just the upgrade just seems...well it sounds to good to be true...

I think the best place to ask this is on the sonar forum. Or contact them true email.

P.S. Wouldn't it be great if we could sell an upgrade to buy the next one...

I've never known the sale of an upgrade to be legal. If it was, you could buy 100 upgrades and sell the lot. Come to think of it, Christmas is just round the corner.....

D

Theoretically it ought to be possible to sell an upgrade, as long as it's to another user who meets the criteria for the upgrade. Eg, sell your Sonar 6 upgrade to someone who already owns a version of Sonar that corresponds at least to the version you upgraded from. What is certainly illegal is to sell the version that you upgraded FROM. When you buy an upgrade, you only get it at the cheaper price because you have paid for the version you are upgrading from already. If you later sell that version, but carry on using the upgrade, then you have illegally and unfairly got the cheaper price on the basis of something you no longer own.

However all this is academic in this context, since selling Sonar in ANY form is against the licence agreement. Most DAW packages seem to allow for resale and transfer of licence, but Sonar doesn't. I think that sucks, but there you go. OTOH they don't burden their users with invasive and problematic copy protection, so I suppose it's swings and roundabouts.

It's all there in the EULA.

Usually with these sorts of things, you own a single license and carry that same license through all the upgrades you purchase. If you sell any version of the product, you must also include your license in that sale so that the buyer can have a legal license to work with. Purchasing an upgrade doesn't typically grant an additional license.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    OTOH they don't burden their users with invasive and problematic copy protection, so I suppose it's swings and roundabouts.

You mean i can buy Sonar, install it and that's it?...sh*&t...

I'm seriously thinking about swiching just because of this...very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by astrt4
    Usually with these sorts of things, you own a single license and carry that same license through all the upgrades you purchase. If you sell any version of the product, you must also include your license in that sale so that the buyer can have a legal license to work with. Purchasing an upgrade doesn't typically grant an additional license.
    Not so sure abut this. Obviously if one has sonar 5 and upgrades to 6, then one is allowed to continue using 5. That, for multi-computer users, is a big point of attraction, no? I'm pretty sure that's not how you mean it, though. I'm just being nitpicky.

Belbin

Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    OTOH they don't burden their users with invasive and problematic copy protection, so I suppose it's swings and roundabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    You mean i can buy Sonar, install it and that's it?...sh*&t...

I'm seriously thinking about swiching just because of this...
    Yep, that's it.

I don't know whether Sonar has always been this way, and I'm pretty sure the original Cakewalk wasn't. But this is certainly in the EULA of version 4 that I have.

It is unusual: AFAIK Cubase, Logic etc. all allow you to sell the program on. So does Sibelius and pretty much every other program I own. The big exception is sample libraries, and things that are substantially sample based.

But Sonar - no way. You buy it, YOU can use it and that's the end of it.

Go Back to forum