• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga Nyc

Share/Bookmark

Giga Nyc

Hey
    Is there anyone in NYC with a great knowledge of the GIGA? I'm knee deep in prepping for a new movie and am looking for somone to put a machine together as i dont have the time to get my head around the whole thing at this point. Cheers ..John!

Re: Giga Nyc

talk to the guys at dale pro audio, i am sure they will hook you up. i think its on 19th

thanks for the info...much appreciated!!!

There are two ways to go. One is to get GS3 Orchestra, which comes with GigaPulse and some bundled samples. GS3 is a bit picky about hardware, so it's important to get parts and drivers that are known to work.

The other option now is to get GVI (and possibly GigaPulse VST to run in your DAW). This route is much less risky in terms of hardware. Just build the fastest PC with the most RAM that you can afford, and watch it work. I'd recommend a Core 2 Duo these days (and I'm a long time AMD user).

You could also get whatever hardware that you like, buy GS3 Orchestra and go for the GVI upgrade. If GS3 works, great! Otherwise, just use GVI and worry about GS3 later.

Even with GVI, GS3 is nice to have as it lets you edit your gigs.

All the best from the Pacific Northwest.

If you go for GVI on a separate machine, don't forget that you will need a VST host. Of course the advantage to this system is that you should be able to load up to 2.8GB samples as opposed to Giga's measly 1.1 (if you're lucky).

D

I would get GS3 ensemble wich is $129(even cheaper somewhere?) and then crossgrade to GVI for $125. That way you get the best of both world + 2 licences...And you endup paying less that you would for GVI.

not that you cant use VSL performance tool with GVi so you will need GS3 for that...

Also note that i run GS3 ensemble on a used DELL 4600i 2.8 with no problem...

P.S. Since your saving on GVi you could add Giga pulse,there might be a crossgrade for that too.

....And make sure those crossgrade deal are still in effect with no date limite...
    Maybe Tascam changed that?

I would recommend to get Kontakt2 if you plan to use it with VSL cause it's much more easyer the perf. tool being included in K2. Also i seem to load WAY! more instrument in K2....

Good Luck!

Ooop! O forgot on thing. You could have your Pc build for you by people like ADK who do this for a living...

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    not that you cant use VSL performance tool with GVi so you will need GS3 for that...
    Actually you can, but its more hassle than with GS3. You need to route MIDI out of your host, through the tool, then back in to GVI. You'd of course need some virtual MIDI cable like MAPLE http://www.hurchalla.com/Maple_driver.html

Hey all!! Many thanks for your advice it is most appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by fizbin
    Actually you can, but its more hassle than with GS3. You need to route MIDI out of your host, through the tool, then back in to GVI. You'd of course need some virtual MIDI cable like MAPLE http://www.hurchalla.com/Maple_driver.html
    Yea! you're right, i knew about it but decided to rull that out because , as you said it's a hassle...But that got me rethinking all this...

Basicaly it's just one more step than usuale. But isn't there a 4 channel limitation?..or did i dream this?...Anyway I'll try and read how to use the perf. tool with halion because it's suppose to be the same, but later cause now i have a head heak .

So tell me if i got this right: Let's say that i have GVi standalone on it's own Pc(not my daw), i would open Maple first and rout that to the perf. tool, and rout the perf. tool to GVi right?...But what happen if you use GVi in a VSTi host like braispawn?...do you think that will work as well?...

I'm curious, did you try it yourself?

Also i don't know if you heard but FX-Max is working on a uttility that will emulate the VSL perf. tool so there is hope.

Thanks Fiz.

Go Back to forum