• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: MIDI file of Colossus's Demo???

Share/Bookmark

MIDI file of Colossus's Demo???

Hi Guys
    I just purchased the COLOSSUS,and listened the demos of it,I think they are amazing.
    Is there anyone has the MIDI files(official) of COLOSSUS' demos or Could you tell me where i can gei it?
    Thanks a lot

Re: MIDI file of Colossus's Demo???

Quote Originally Posted by Jeo Zhao
    Hi Guys
    I just purchased the COLOSSUS,and listened the demos of it,I think they are amazing.
    Is there anyone has the MIDI files(official) of COLOSSUS' demos or Could you tell me where i can gei it?
    Thanks a lot
    Try asking on the ~~~~~~~~~~~~ forum.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Jeo Zhao
    Hi Guys
    Thanks a lot
    Try asking on the Sounds-on-line forum.

D

~~~~~~~~~~~~

haha... I just love the censorship around here

Let's try something else: ~~~~! ~~~~!

Ok these work as well

On a more serious note, I know that EW, are nto very keen on giving away ANY midis for any demos. Members of the SOL forums have tried several times to get their hands on midi files, but in no vail. I'm nto sure I understand that policy, as I dont' see any reason, but then again it's their demos, and their products.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

haha... I just love the censorship around here

Let's try something else: ~~~~! ~~~~!

Ok these work as well

On a more serious note, I know that EW, are nto very keen on giving away ANY midis for any demos. Members of the SOL forums have tried several times to get their hands on midi files, but in no vail. I'm nto sure I understand that policy, as I dont' see any reason, but then again it's their demos, and their products.
    I agree. This is not a gripe against EW or any one company, but I think that if there is an "official" demo, i.e. one that is hosted on a developer's site, then they have a duty to post the MIDI file, and any other information that is required for users to re-create it. There is nothing worse than being told a product can do all sorts of wonderful things, but then withholding the information on how to achieve them. It is not good enough to allow the creators of demos to hide their tricks; if they want to keep this information to themselves, they shouldn't be providing official demos for the product.

D

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler
    Why is it censored? Are we not allowed to talk about East West samples?
    No, as EW don't pay to advertise here.

D

We are actually allowed to speak about it.

just the links towards their site does not work.

I agree the Colossus demos are great but there aren't any great "secrets" at least harmonically that a midi file would teach you. Also, there really arent a lot of articulations compare to VSL, Prominy etc. All it takes is patience and a good ear.

If your ear isn't able to pull that music off the mp3's then it's something a composer should absolutely get together. It is by far a better way to go than using midi files. The real secrets are in "why" of composing and the mix (reverbs, panning, compression etc). For that you need experience and/or conversations with the composer.

Let me state that I don't really care about colossus (actually I don't give a ~~~~, but this again is censored! I'm loving it! This thread will be full of ~~~~ing ~~~~ bull~~~~! hahahaha) (<-Note I understand why this is happening and I don't really mind, but I'm honestly having fun with this. Plus the other forums don't usually do that and thus I'm always typing all sorts of things and the mods sometimes have to edit me hihihi)

Back to topic:

Artsoundz: After having taken a class about teaching (inSTIL and I was forced to do it, since I'm teaching in a university now as a PhD student), I found out that there are many many different ways of learning. I am with you on that, but not all people are at a level where they can listen to an mp3 and just understand what's going on. Not ot mention that for me, until veyr recently the Stradivarious 2.0 demos were a mystery as to how they could do it (but of course thanks for the videos, I kinda understood some things). Not everybody can use 5-6 midi controls (that you and I may found natural) and be at ease with them.

BTW, I ended up being a visual guy more than an audio one (!!!!!) and indeed a learn better when wacthing or reading, than listening (lectures, not music though ) there is a very simple possibility that people learn better with the project,or at least the midi files, in front of them, than listening the tracks. And even if, of course, listening is fundemental in a composers life, still there are nowadays ways around it (no matter if I don't like it).

But I actually agree with you that having in your disposal the midi files won't help much, but just saying that it might. Not to mention that the luxury of time is something many miss (since you're mentioning patience).

I imagine that the problem with releasing the midi files is that the composers don't allow it. I mean EW pays a limited ammount of money some composer to make a couple of demos for Colossus (and any other product). I highly doutb that they buy the rights, so they have no hands on the midi files. But of course most demos are from Nick Phoenix co owner (or something simmilar) to EW So it doesn't neccesarily mean that the problem lies with the EW way of thinking as a company. But then again management can be realy sttuborn sometimes... who knows...

Fact is that 99% no midi files will be given to public, or released or anything like that.

Hey Nikolas- Yes, I agree that many don't have the ear and a midi file would help. Understand that I believe in the"whatever it takes' approach. So, sure it would be fun to have a midi file.

But comparing Strad w/ Colossus isn't a fair comparison as Strad definately takes a knowledge of how to play a violin to effecively make that happen. Colossus, on the other hand, has really very few articulations. So the challenge for most of the Colossus demos is to find out whats happening harmonically and the demos don't have any "deep" harmonically challenging passages. And that's a good thing.

With a little practice and patience. ear training is probably the most fundamentaly important tool any musician can have. I'm amazed at how little this is reinforced in the academic comminity. As a child learning piano, I NEVER got a hint of this and was subsequently frustrated tnat I didn't know what I was doing other than pushing buttons.

I know this is going off topic a bit but it's crucially related. The best thing a composer using these libraries can do is dig in and even if it's a bar or two try to use your ear. If done regularly, one will be blown away on how fast the ear is developed and subsequently the whole MUSICIAN. Dig that!

edit- on the other hand, I like the way the Strad is forcing a steeper learning curve. Learn the violin while learning the Strad, ya know?

Go Back to forum