• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Overture to "H.M.S. Pinafore" by Gilbert and Sullivan

Share/Bookmark

Overture to "H.M.S. Pinafore" by Gilbert and Sullivan

I'm really happy to be back to the GPO Forum. I joined last year shortly after becoming a GPO user, but technical problems (still not completely resolved) have prevented me from being able to logon ever since! There does seem to be a problem with the Northern Sounds system, but that's a different topic.

My primary musical project for this last year has been using GPO for recording the dramatic musical I've written. I'm looking forward to sharing some pieces from that on this Forum.

But for my first musical posting, I'm putting up the Overture to "H.M.S. Pinafore." Creating instrumental tracks for the entire operetta is another current project.

I've created several "virtual orchestra" recordings for schools and small theatres to use--venues which aren't always able to muster an appropriate live orchestra for their productions. When I've completed this "Pinafore" project, it too will be available to teachers and musical directors.

I'm using the Dover edition of the full conductor's score, remaining completely faithful to the music as Sullivan composed it. The fun for me, of course, is in realizing the music through the great GPO program.

POST UPDATE--11/9/06

The free site I signed up for to post music here turns out to not be so good. The link I posted earlier stopped working--I've used up the allowable bandwidth. I'm editing this post to provide the link to what seems to be a much better site--Hopefully this will work well for you:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/d5d5zzgdzi.mp3

rbowser
    Last edited by rbowser-; 11-09-2006 at 06:25 PM. Reason: replacing dead link

Re: Overture to "H.M.S. Pinafore" by Gilbert and Sullivan

Welcome back, rbowser...

And quite a re-introduction of yourself -- excellent work
    on this. Extremely well "conducted" and rendered!

That's quite a project you're undertaking, and I'm very
    much looking forward to hearing the results.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

This is great to listen to - a lot of work and well done - please make sure you post all of your Pinafore work - surprising how good Gilbert and Sullivan sounds minus school band!

rbowser,

Wow...really splendid job of rendering this out using the GPO. It works really well in this setting as it seems to in so many others. Hopefully you will ahve more works for us in the future.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Thank you so much for stopping to take a listen, and for posting such encouraging replies--Etlux, Low and Gary!

"...surprising how good Gilbert and Sullivan sounds minus school band!..."

hehe--yes, I know what you mean. Sullivan's music is fairly simple, and theoretically at a level attainable by the average school band--and yet---The elegant simplicity is best served by a good orchestra, and as with all music, under the guidance of a sensitive baton.

The project is great fun. I will post more later on. I also want to post original music I've composed for a stage musical and recorded with the use of GPO.

This is wonderful to be back on the GPO Forum, where there are other people working with music more in the area of my own--as compared to some other bulletin boards I participate in where the majority of people are recording rock, rap, electronica etc.

Thank you again, all!

rbowser

rbowser,
    What a fun romp! I love Gilbert and Sullivan. Your rendering and performance were excellent. Bravo!
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

rbowser,

I signed up for an account, but when I try to access your piece, it says an error has occured and will not let me listen.

We are performing Pirates this year here at the Orlando Opera so I'm interested in how you did Pinafore.

Any idea of how to be able to listen?

Thanks!
    Earl Green

I tried to listen, signed up for an account, but when I select HMS I get sent to a page selling virus protection.

Oh no! Earl and Tom--thank you both for the heads up on a problem with that link.

These darned free storage sites---Seems like they do squirrely things.

POST UPDATE--11/9/06

The free site I signed up for to post music here turns out to not be so good. The link I posted earlier stopped working--I've used up the allowable bandwidth. I'm editing this post to provide the link to what seems to be a much better site--Hopefully this will work well for you:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/d5d5zzgdzi.mp3

Thanks for your patience and interest in my G&S work.

rbowser
    Last edited by rbowser-; 11-09-2006 at 06:27 PM. Reason: updating music file link

Hello rbowser. I get this message, when I tried to download your music:
    The file owner's account has reached maximum download bytes. To download this file, you need to pay for the bandwidth charge.
    I recomend the follow site: file hosting. Try it out, I'm satisfied with it.

Rudolf

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast