• Register
  • Help

Topic: Of Buffaloes and Butterflies

Share/Bookmark

Of Buffaloes and Butterflies

No buffalo here. Plenty of butterflies, cougars, deer, buzzards and crows. But I thought the buffalo crowd needed some attention.

The mp3 is GPO Steinway, and the best way to listen.

Of Buffaloes and Butterflies
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=94643

To listen only, just select the blue mp3 bar near the top.

To view the score, you will need the free plug-in, Scorch. Instructions are where the music ought to be. With Scorch, you can view the score and listen to playback simultaneously, but the sound quality can be disappointing. However, with GPO studio slots 1 & 2 set to Steinway Grand, you can select GPO Studio as playback device and the sound wil be grand.

Richard

Re: Of Buffaloes and Butterflies

Wonderful. Simply wonderful.

Dear Richard:

For someone who has publicly stated both an aversion to the use of percussion instruments and at best an ambivalence towards Jazz your music is so wonderfully rhythmical. Sometimes I think deep inside you are a drummer stuck inside of a pianist (and that is meant to be a complement). While many treat the piano, which is technically a percussion instrument, in very un-rhythmical way, you never seem to lose the that fact, nor the fact that rhythm is the fundamental foundation of music. This is not to disparage your melodic or harmonic work, simply to say that I am always struck by the rhythmic energy of many of your pieces.

Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Well, I obviously am acutely aware that the piano is a percussion instrument, and of the importance of rhythm. My problem with percussion generally is that it is too often overdone, too prominent. Percussion rhythm can enhance or annoy. Too often, I find it annoying.

My awakening to the percussive value of the piano came in about 1954, when I was often accused of trying to make the piano sound like an organ. When I play the piano - the old ballads -- my bass is usually soflly percussive, the treble quite as smooth flowing as I can make it. When I compose, once I have a clear idea of what I want, I follow the lead of the music.

I wonder if that makes sense? I know that this piece underwent significant change as it progressed.

Ed, you nailed me down on my attitude towards jazz!

Richard

I'm with Ed on his comment about rhythm being the
    fundamental element of music -- one way or another,
    everything, even melody and harmony, can be seen
    as expressions of rhythmical and cyclic structures.

And therewith, the fascination with your own work,
    Richard... so richly endowed with it.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum