• Register
  • Help

Topic: Black Ocean::::::Dream Awakening

Share/Bookmark

Black Ocean::::::Dream Awakening

A composition of "epic" proportions. An underwater vessel in search of the lost city of Atlantis, finds more than they bargained for.
    Black Ocean:
    Mvt I : Monumental Discovery
    Mvt II: Sea Critters
    Mvt III: Beyond Atlantis

Mvts one and 2 are strung together.
    http://mp3download.myspace.com/music...35421_804b9292

Dream Awakening: Based on a dream I had, and there was music in it for whatever weird reason. This is the music from my dream. It's in B, because that's what it was in my dream. So I left well enough alone. A Harry Potter dream.
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=75173

Band Arrangement:::
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=89713

Re: Black Ocean::::::Dream Awakening

Nice work, Benjamin!

Enjoyed the strong opening...There's definitely an epic quality here.
    A terrific transition to the more tranquil movement.

The instruments were also well chosen. Strings, harp and flute certainly encapsulate a feeling of ancient Greece, and imagery of underwater.

And what a vivid dream you had. Normally I would dream of flying French Chefs with Spaghetti platters on their heads...

.. and certainly no music to inspire me.

oh well,

..really enjoyed this

Well done!

~Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by tubajedimr
    A composition of "epic" proportions. An underwater vessel in search of the lost city of Atlantis, finds more than they bargained for. [/I]

Enjoyed this - especially the quieter passages where both the choice of solo instruments and writing is of good effect. This is certainly worth developing further to realise full potential. Thanks for sharing this.

Regards, Graham

Benjamin,

Really nice strong writing. I am listening to the band arrangment and it works very well in that setting. It is certainly necessary to pay attention to all of the details as it is very delicate in many places. You have done that very well.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Thanks for all the kind words. I'd love to hear what I could change. I'm probably going to go back and lengthen alot of the stuff. I'd like to know what you guys would reccomend. Maybe a 4th movment to tie it all together one last time would be sufficient. Thanks for all the help guys, and I'm gonna go eat, then listen to some of the stuff you guys composed. I can listen easier on a full stomache.

On Black Ocean, Ben... some very strong, interesting writing;
    and that opening is superb.

I'm probably going to go back and lengthen alot of the stuff. I'd like to know what you guys would reccomend.
    I'd go with that, Ben. How I hear this material is largely expository;
    as though you were sketching the framework for a larger piece.

Maybe a 4th movment to tie it all together one last time would be sufficient.
    Again, the right instincts. I'd say this needs a fourth movement to
    balance the energy of the initial exposition, and to round out the
    overall structure across the movements.

~

Dream Awakening is quite well done! I thoroughly enjoyed the
    ripping rhythmic figures and drive in the opening of this, Ben; and
    the floating melodic work that follows, and the excellent woodwind
    fillagree work, and... well, heck, this is just one fine piece, beginning
    to end... lol.

Much enjoyed! You're doing some fine work, Ben; and it's always
    my pleasure to hear your posts.

My best,

David.
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Alright guys. Tell me where this is going. I started a few seconds of a Heroic Finale to the Black Ocean piece. As if to say, they found Atlantis, and now their ship is docking, and they are going to be celebrated as discovering heros. Just started so it's a little shaky.

http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/getmp3.pl?scoreid=72604

Alright guys. Tell me where this is going.
    Now just a second, here, Ben... I thought it was your job
    to tell us where it was going... lol!

Seriously: Off to a good start, Ben.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

A camel is a horse
    designed by committee...

Tubajedimr:

Good writing and orchestration. I definitely think it needs another movement to, as you say, "tie it together." If I were given this task, I would probably start the last movement softly (after the big ending before it) with NEW material. Then, I would develop or integrate some of the motifs from the first and second movements to bring them back (briefly), then go for the climax incorporating anything previous or, even strictly new material.

Just a thought that might help you build a blue-print for a last movement. Of course, it's possible that you could have another "dream" that would give you better direction. LOL

Enjoyed listening.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Tubajedimr:

Good writing and orchestration. I definitely think it needs another movement to, as you say, "tie it together." If I were given this task, I would probably start the last movement softly (after the big ending before it) with NEW material. Then, I would develop or integrate some of the motifs from the first and second movements to bring them back (briefly), then go for the climax incorporating anything previous or, even strictly new material.

Just a thought that might help you build a blue-print for a last movement. Of course, it's possible that you could have another "dream" that would give you better direction. LOL

Enjoyed listening.

Jack
    Lol. I'm incorporating some little quotes from previous movements, and from the Dream Awakening piece. You may have noticed it. It's in the woodwinds. Listen to the beginning of the Dream Awakening and see if you recognize what I mean.

Go Back to forum