• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does anyone here use the Midi Solutions Velocity Converter?

Share/Bookmark

Question Does anyone here use the Midi Solutions Velocity Converter?

I was thinking about getting one to use with Gigastudio and my Yamaha P-80 keyboard. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it. Thanks in advance.

Re: Does anyone here use the Midi Solutions Velocity Converter?

I have never tried this, but do you know that there are software alternatives, more flexibles, like this http://www.flashdesktops.com/velocity.php (and it's free btw).

I have one of those boxes, and it works perfectly well. It's bus-powered, easy to program with sysex... and I haven't used it for years, in fact I've even forgotten why I got it in the first place.

If you have a keyboard that needs scaling, I personally would rather just stick a box in the line and forget about it than have to start a program every time. These things aren't very expensive.

Thanks for the input. I'm currently running Gigastudio through Sonar in Rewire mode. Sonar may have a fix...I'm not sure but I'm looking into it. Unfortunately I'm not very advanced when it comes to understanding how to manipulate these things in a software environment. If there's an easy fix in Sonar I may use it but if it turns out to be at all complicated I think I'm of the same mind as Nick...Just put a box in the line and let it fix the problem. I think the issue I'm having is not unusual for Yamaha pianos. I've read several other posts from people with velocity scaling issues.

Nick, if you remember why you have the device, please let me know. I'm curious why you felt you needed it and how you used it once you bought it. Thanks again for your comments.

I think it might have been because I had - still have somewhere, actually - a Yamaha TX-7 (DX-7 module) that was getting overdriven by my controller. The DX-7 didn't put out the full MIDI velocity range. MIDI was new then.

Lee, I'm certainly aware of Logic's environment, but I use other software all the time. That's why I would prefer to stick a $50 box in the line.

Go Back to forum