• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio 3.0 and networking computers

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio 3.0 and networking computers

Help!!!!!

OK, I have decided to join the world of those who use multiple machines for use wirh Gigastudio. I currently run Giga 3.0 Orchestra and use Sonar 4.0 as my midi sequencing program. I run a ton of VSL samples (currently all on one machine) and will soon be running Vienna Instruments VSTs as well.

I networked two computers together, lets call them A and B for short. A is running Giga, Sonar and all my other audio apps. I'd like to store and run samples from B. So, what I did was map the shared drives from B to A and ran quicksound in Giga assuming it would see the drives as local and I could just pull my samples from there. No such luck. Clearly I have a lot to learn here :-)

Do I need some other kind of software or hardware to make this work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: Gigastudio 3.0 and networking computers

To get the benefit of that second machine, you are going to have to install another license of Gigastudio on it and run the machine completely seperately into Sonar. That is how most people do it.

If you are just using that second machine as a network drive...you are not really getting the benefit of that second machine. You might as well have just added more internal hard drives to your first machine or firewire drives, etc...

This is because your one instance of Gigastudio will still be using that single processor on your main machine. The benefit of using multiple machines is being able to spread around the CPU usage and RAM usage and the only way to do that is to run multiple installations of Gigastudio across those multiple machines. Your sequencer Sonar will tap into each machine like it is a seperate midi device. And the audio will record into Sonar through your audio interfaced. So...buy Gigastudio again for your second machine, setup the "midi in" as a midi device in Sonar. Set up the audio output of that second machine to the audio input of your sequencer. And there you go.

Good luck with it.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

You really want your sample drives to be mounted on the same machine as Giga. Drive performance is critical for a sampler.

Normally people will separate their systems with the DAW on one machine and the sampler on the other.

I assume that the only reason you want the samples on computer B is that it has available drive space. Without a sampler installed on computer B, it can't really do anything with them. I'd recommend watching for good sales on hard drives and adding another drive to computer A. Go wtih USB2, Firewire or eSATA and an external drive, if there's no more room in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    You really want your sample drives to be mounted on the same machine as Giga. Drive performance is critical for a sampler.

Normally people will separate their systems with the DAW on one machine and the sampler on the other.

I assume that the only reason you want the samples on computer B is that it has available drive space. Without a sampler installed on computer B, it can't really do anything with them. I'd recommend watching for good sales on hard drives and adding another drive to computer A. Go wtih USB2, Firewire or eSATA and an external drive, if there's no more room in the case.

Thank you Brian and Jon. That helped a lot, but, I have a few more questions. Clearly I had the wrong idea of why people run two computers with GIGA. I guess I thought that, in addition to more space for samples, there was some virtue in running the samples from another machine. It sounds like the opposite is true.

So is what your saying that I should run Giga on both machines and Sonar on one and access the instance of Giga on Machine B by Sonar running on machine A? And, that the input and output for the various instances of Giga would be controlled by Sonar? I guess my biggest question is, how do you distinguish in Sonar between the two instances of Gigastudio?

Ultimately, I want to be able to run my older VSL samples AND the new Vienna Instrument VSTs via one VST host/sequencing program (i.e. Sonar 6). If I can figure out how to do this, I'll be one happy little camper.

I'm sure this stuff is basic and annoying to you guys, so if you know of a webpage or document that talks specifically about running Giga on two machines with one sequencer, feel free to steer me in that direction.

Thanks again,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Astro
    So is what your saying that I should run Giga on both machines and Sonar on one and access the instance of Giga on Machine B by Sonar running on machine A? And, that the input and output for the various instances of Giga would be controlled by Sonar? I guess my biggest question is, how do you distinguish in Sonar between the two instances of Gigastudio?
    Yep.

In your midi device setup, you set up each Gigastudio machine as a seperate midi device. Obviously the midi cables are running to the machines seperately. In your sequencer, you then select where (which giga machine) you want particular midi tracks to be routed to in order to trigger your samples. Then, the audio from those machines are sent back into your sequencer through your audio interface. Just label which inputs are coming from which Giga machines. Record them on audio tracks in Sonar to render your midi to audio. Then create your mix, etc...
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston
    Yep.

In your midi device setup, you set up each Gigastudio machine as a seperate midi device. Obviously the midi cables are running to the machines seperately. In your sequencer, you then select where (which giga machine) you want particular midi tracks to be routed to in order to trigger your samples. Then, the audio from those machines are sent back into your sequencer through your audio interface. Just label which inputs are coming from which Giga machines. Record them on audio tracks in Sonar to render your midi to audio. Then create your mix, etc...
    AH! But I do need two midi interfaces then, one for each machine? I currently use a Midiman Midisport 4x4, so I could just get another one, or something similar for the second machine?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Astro
    AH! But I do need two midi interfaces then, one for each machine? I currently use a Midiman Midisport 4x4, so I could just get another one, or something similar for the second machine?

Mike
    You have a couple choices here. 1...Since you have your computers networked...you can use midi over LAN software to transmit the midi data from the sequencer to the external gigastudio machine over your local area network. Since you are all PC...that should work fine. just google "midi over LAN". I have not done it this way...so I don't have personal experience on it. But many here have and report good results.

Or 2...yes, you would have to buy a midi interface for the external Gigastudio computer so the midi inputs can be transmitted to it via that route.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Thanks you guys for all the help. Much appreciated.

Mike

Go Back to forum