• Register
  • Help

Topic: PRF and DEF in GVI?

Share/Bookmark

PRF and DEF in GVI?

Enough acronyms for you?

Can someone clarify that DEF and PRF are available in GVI, and if so perhaps elucidate any differences or limitations of the implementation? (I've looked on the website and read the manual - no mention of it.)

I'm using SISC in K2 now, but would like to try DEF and PRF (hence my query). If anyone has comments on how well these filters work with the library, I'd also welcome this.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Re: PRF and DEF in GVI?

If the instrument already contains them, they will work that way in GVI. However, GVI does not have the iMIDI interface and rule builder that Gigastudio has so you can't add them to a library that doesn't have them using GVI.

If you have both Gigastudio and GVI, you could add them in Gigastudio, save the instrument (save as...) and open that instrument in GVI.

- G

Thank you Gamera, that's very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cleartrueblue
    If anyone has comments on how well these filters work with the library, I'd also welcome this.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
    DEF works great, it will make you save on polyphony a lot...

PRF is an other story, i find it alter's the sound a lot and will crossgrade to K2 format ASAP for much better legati...I'm not saying it's unusable and I'm glad they have this function but K2 scripting ability is much better in this area...There's a new demos on Sonivox's websit that show off the K2 leg on the strings and woodwinds...worth cheaking it out!

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001
    DEF works great, it will make you save on polyphony a lot...

PRF is an other story, i find it alter's the sound a lot and will crossgrade to K2 format ASAP for much better legati...I'm not saying it's unusable and I'm glad they have this function but K2 scripting ability is much better in this area...There's a new demos on Sonivox's websit that show off the K2 leg on the strings and woodwinds...worth cheaking it out!
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to DEF. The polyphony savings will be great, but moreover I can't stand the phasing in the xfade patches.

If you have both Gigastudio and GVI, you could add them in Gigastudio, save the instrument (save as...) and open that instrument in GVI.

Dear Mr. G.:

Exactly what I was asking for. Could you please elaborate on this a little? How do you "save as" a sample used in GS3.12? What would it include? Would your edits and GP included?
    I have both and getting ready to leave for Mexico for three months and contemplating to take only GVI in a laptop with me. (I can not live without music-making for that long). Sounds in GVI sound NOT AS GOOD as in GS3.12 Orchestra, so your comment is very important for me.

Thanks

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Vanya

Dear Mr. G.:

Exactly what I was asking for. Could you please elaborate on this a little? How do you "save as" a sample used in GS3.12? What would it include? Would your edits and GP included?
    Load the instrument in Gigastudio, right click on it in the loaded instrument window, select the iMIDI Rule Manager. Apply the rule you want in the way you want to apply it. Save that as a .gsi. Open the .gsi in GVI.
    For DEF, just select that rule.
    For PRF, select the Mono Mode rule and select Legato Portamento Mode. If you check the box for Auto detect polyphonic mode, you'll still be able to play chords, but when you switch to single note lines, the PRF rule will take over.
    .gsi files include your Quick Edit changes. If you want to embed Gigapulse, that's something you would do from the Gigapulse Pro UI:
    Under the Gigapulse Pro File menu, select Encode current config to a gig instrument preset. It will have to be a single placement patch in Gigapulse.
    You should only do this to a copy of your .gig instrument because it encodes the Gigapulse data directly into the .gig file.
    I have both and getting ready to leave for Mexico for three months and contemplating to take only GVI in a laptop with me. (I can not live without music-making for that long). Sounds in GVI sound NOT AS GOOD as in GS3.12 Orchestra, so your comment is very important for me.
    Seems like they don't (yet) intend for GVI to be the instrument development platform that Gigastudio is. I'd guess that most people don't use Gigastudio this deeply.

- G

Mr Gamera, thanks a lot. Will try.

Ted

Go Back to forum