• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Beware of this Internet company

Share/Bookmark

Angry Beware of this Internet company

If you are thinking of buying anything to do with computer music on the Internet, be very careful before you deal with Computers and Music (computersandmusic.com).

They have no fixed abode, no telephone, and do not answer emails.

If you order anything from them, be prepared to wait in ignorance of whether your goods have been despatched or your credit card debited. I know - I'm in that situation. After a month of waiting I have cancelled my order but still they do not reply.

Terry Dwyer

Re: Beware of this Internet company

Thanks for the heads-up. I hope you are able to get it cleared up soon.

David

The U.S. Federal government has an internet fraud hot line that is very thorough in helping with matters such as this. I would suggest contacting them with all your information.
    Styxx

I did a whois on their domain. Perhaps this will help you:

Registrant:
    Computers and Music
    647 Mission St.
    San Francisco, CA 94105
    US

Domain Name: COMPUTERSANDMUSIC.COM

Administrative Contact :
    West, Joe
    compmus@COMPUTERSANDMUSIC.COM
    647 MISSION ST
    SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94105-4126
    US
    Phone: +1 415 541 5350
    Fax: 999 999 9999

Technical Contact :
    Hostmaster, Best Internet
    hostmaster@BEST.COM
    345 E MIDDLEFIELD RD
    MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA 94043-4003
    US
    Phone: +1 888 578 8222
    Fax: 123 123 1234

Record expires on 08-Mar-2009
    Record created on 07-Mar-1996
    Database last updated on 05-Oct-2006

Domain servers in listed order: Manage DNS

NS1.ABLECOMMERCE.NET 216.139.229.10
    NS2.ABLECOMMERCE.NET 216.139.228.153

Show underlying registry data for this record

Current Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
    IP Address: 216.139.228.199 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
    IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)
    Record Type: Domain Name
    Server Type: IIS 6
    Lock Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK
    Web Site Status: Active
    DMOZ no listings
    Y! Directory: see listings
    Web Site Title: Computers & Music
    Secure: No
    E-commerce: Yes
    Traffic Ranking: 2
    Data as of: 25-Jul-2006

The faxes are fake, obviously...
    Joe West's telephone number goes to a Jessica Martin.

Best of luck resolving this.

Reegs

I did a little more research, and here's what Muse Research (makers of Receptor) had listed for the contact info:
    Computers & Music
    4837 Geary Blvd.
    San Francisco
    CA 94118

Tel: (800)-767-6161
    support@computersandmusic.com
    www.computersandmusic.com

Google produced the page on the computersandmusic site which also has this number:
    (http://www.computersandmusic.com/sit..._Desks_105.htm)

Computers & Music is one of the biggest Omnirax dealers in the country. You will not find a better price or service anywhere else. If you know what you are looking for and see it below, feel free to order over the web. But if you have questions about their products or want to talk about accessories, customization, or you want a copy of their catalog sent to you, please call us during store hours at 1-800-767-6161 between 10am and 6pm Pacific Time Monday through Friday.

** Please note that Omnirax studio furniture is heavy and costs quite a bit to ship, especially to the East Coast. Expect to pay between $80.00 and $250.00 for ground shipping. Please call us at (800) 767-6161 Monday through Wednesday, 10am - 5:30pm Pacific, Thursday and Friday, 10am - 7pm to get a shipping estimate on a desk.

And then there's THIS little blip on the bottom of ONLY that page:

Call (800) 767-6161 Monday through Wednesday, 10am - 5:30pm Pacific,
    Thursday and Friday, 10am - 7pm, Saturdays, closed for the Spring/Summer

Copyright 2005 Computers & Music. All rights reserved.

The other pages on the site all display a copyright 2006 footer, which lacks that information.

And here's what BayProg, a resource site for San Francisco Musicians (http://www.till.com/BayProg/index.html), has listed for the telephone number of Computers & Music, located at 4837 Geary Blvd:

415 344-0434

That number does reference Computers and Music on another site (bestdealon.com), but they have its address at 649 Mission St.

I couldn't even get through on the 800 number, but my landline phone has been doing funny things lately, so you might be able to get an answering machine.

One more possible number:

From their website:

"In September 2006, we left our bricks and mortar behind and now exist solely on the internet. We will miss your smiling faces and desperate voices [the latter may have been a common occurrence], but we have accepted our new reality and hope you will continue to be well-served enough by our website and email."

The 800 number is "disconnected or no longer in service", ditto their listed phone number 415-666-9944. The 0434 number is a fax line. Their own website "contact" page gives no 800 or any other phone number and of course no address.
    Bill

Terry,

If you paid using a credit card, contact the credit card company and they should be able to make sure that the transaction is cancelled.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

I bought much computer equipment from Joe West, starting from the time he had a tiny little store in an old house in Daly City, almost under the freeway, selling Apple IIe and Alpha Centauri.

Later, he moved to downtown San Francisco, sharing space with the Yamaha piano dealer, I think it was. Eventually he moved to out on Geary. I have bought plenty from him over the years, including SCORE, and Sibelius. I have never had a problem with him. I have not bought anything from him lately, but if he had what I wanted, I would have no hesitation in ordering from him.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    I bought much computer equipment from Joe West, starting from the time he had a tiny little store in an old house in Daly City, almost under the freeway, selling Apple IIe and Alpha Centauri.

Later, he moved to downtown San Francisco, sharing space with the Yamaha piano dealer, I think it was. Eventually he moved to out on Geary. I have bought plenty from him over the years, including SCORE, and Sibelius. I have never had a problem with him. I have not bought anything from him lately, but if he had what I wanted, I would have no hesitation in ordering from him.

Richard
    Hopefully he hasn't gone out of business and someone is falsely using his name.

Thanks, everybody, for the additional information.

For whatever reason or period of time, it looks as if this firm is no longer trading. They should have dismantled their website.

Terry

Go Back to forum