• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Snare Rolls libraries

Share/Bookmark

Snare Rolls libraries

Wow. Now I'm realizing I'm getting addicted to these libraries. It's worse than alcohol lol.

Okay guys, I'm seriously looking at some of the best Snare Rools Libraries. I found out that the one that I've bought / Exchanged are just really poor (London Orchestral Percussion, VSL Percussion, GPO).

It's really difficult to make these Snares rolls sound realistic, as most of them don't have enough attack, or suffer from this gunshot effect disease (or just won't have enough layers in it).

Do you guys know where I could find some great snare rolls / Marching Band type Snares rolls ?

Here's an extract of the kind of tight snare rolls I'm looking at :
    http://zacchino.free.fr/mm-toysoldier-rolls.mp3
    (Okay I know this one is probably a -wonderful- real snare drum take, but this is only the direction, the rolls don't have to be boxy, it can sound more orchestral).

Re: Snare Rolls libraries

Hi
    True Strike has some nice rolls. You might want to give it a try.
    Steph

I actually think that example is samples. The decay sounds too short to me to be real. The reason you're probably not happy with the libraries you've mentioned is they are all orchestral and the sound you've referenced is more of a pop close mic sound. It is NOT marching band, so don't look there. This sample sounds to me like something that would come from a reason refill. But I don't know which one. Look through various REX libraries and also check out the Spectrasonics stuff. You might find something there.

There's a marching band percussion library out there which had good reviews; people talked about it here, but I don't remember the name-sorry. Try doing some searching of the forum?

Nigel

How hard is it, with a decent drum library containing good snare hits, to (pardon the pun) roll yr own?

The one "shortcoming" I've found lacking in Larry Seyer's Acoustic Drums is its lack of rolls (other than a few short presses)... HOWEVER, the snares are so good (seven different keys per drum head, representing hits on different parts of the head) that I've made some decent-sounding rolls just by stringing individual hits together and tweaking them in MIDI...

At the end of the day, a roll is nothing more than a series of fast hits...??? You can add all the nuance you need tinkering with the duration, velocity levels, etc. If you're starting with good snare hits, you can probably make a roll that sounds better than a "store-bought" roll...
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

I think EZ Drummer contains midi files with snare rolls (that were palyed by real drummers). Anyone check them out?

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    There's a marching band percussion library out there which had good reviews; people talked about it here, but I don't remember the name-sorry. Try doing some searching of the forum?

Nigel
    It may have been Virtual Drumline. I remember it being discussed here, but I don't remember who makes it.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Your example definitely is close miked snare whereas the libraries mentioned are miked further away. Most libraries have double stroke rolls. What your looking for may need single stroke rolls. You can create single stroke rolls with most libraries as long as they have separate right and left hand samples. You'll also need a large amount of velocity layers or libraries that have many different hits at the same velocity layers like Drumkit from Hell Superior.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    You'll also need a large amount of velocity layers or libraries that have many different hits at the same velocity layers like Drumkit from Hell Superior.
    Yep. Or LSAD...
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Holy cow, thanx a bunch to y'all !!! (no, I'm not from Texas' Paris, but France's Paris).

Okay, so according to you, I have to check out DFH Superior (Vintage ?), True Strike (still have to find out this one on google), Larry Seyer's Acoustic Drums (thanx Alanb!) and Virtual Drumline...

I'll get back at you as soon as I have some sound examples to argument this thread. This is definitely gonna be a though choice !

Go Back to forum