• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: trying a demo of sonar, but...

Share/Bookmark

trying a demo of sonar, but...

I am completely lost!
    the help file is so intimidating, I really don't see how I'm ever going to understand this. And I thought the help file for Finale was complicated and convoluted!

I've been able to figure out (probably doing it wrong too) how to get my MIDI file to play back with GPO using Garritan Studio.
    Exept now I can't figure out, for the life of me, how to actually record those tracks to audio from within Sonar. IT talks about bouncing and freezing and all sorts of things which seem to DO nothng whenever I try them.

This is so new to me that I'm sure I'm simply missing something VERY basic. But any help would be greatly appreciated. At this point I REALLY don't see any reason to purchase this huge software program if I'm going to be at a total loss as to how to use it.

Re: trying a demo of sonar, but...

I haven't tried the demo of Sonar 6 yet (I'm still on version 5) but maybe they disabled those functions in the demo version? In Sonar 5, you would right click on the audio track that has the output from GPO and select Freeze Synth.

Freezing tracks is the last thing I think you want to do.

Are you asking about how to create an audio file of your complete piece? I think it is in the File...export menu. It may be disabled in the demo of course.

There is a couple ways to do this. If you want to bounce to an audio track inside of Sonar then you use the Edit, Bounce to track function (I may have the name wrong as I'm at work). You need to highlite the tracks you want to bounce first. The other option is to bounce to an external .wav file using the File, Export Audio command.

Jim

ok, I've used Garritan Studio to get playback of my MIDI file within Sonar, is there an easier way of doing it than that?

as far as I know, the demo is supposed to be completely functional for 30 days.
    I've looked at all the various suggestions here, and nothing seems to work, so maybe because I set up GPO to playback via garritan studio it's not working?

I can't even find anything in the Sonar help file about using VSTi or GPO. It refers many times to softsynths, however. Is GPO a "softsynth" to their eyes?

hi
    If I remember right, you'll need to play around with the plug-in manager so that it will recognize GPO as a VST. You need to tell it to do so though, (enable) and since I'm at work and not at home, I can't remember where all of these options are or what they're called exactly. Once you're able to use it as a VST, you'll find that it's much easier than using the GPO Studio in Sonar. I'm sure that you're already doing this, but just in case, be sure that your inputs/outputs (in the track data to the left on your screen) matches the VST etc. that you're using. For example...if I have 2 instances of GPO running, and I'm playing channel 2 lets say on instance 1, I have to pull down and select which instance (player) of GPO I want it to play (this time, instance 1) and then which channel. I'm probably just confusing you, and I'm sorry. Maybe I can help more once I'm at home.
    Good luck,
    Steph

p.s - did you figure out how to record the audio? I couldn't tell. When you load GPO, it'll pull up a track that has a symbol on it (on mine, it says DXi, I think...) that's the track that allows it to play audio (as far as I can tell anyway, nothing sounds if you delete this track...) so, when you go to the bounce function, you'll need to highlight (THE TRACKS MUST TURN BLACK!) in order for the audio to record. So, highlight the track w/your midi AND the main track...that has the symbol that isn't a midi symbol...hopefully, this helps...I'll try again later

right now, all I get is GPO Studio as an option, and no sound seems to come from it.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    right now, all I get is GPO Studio as an option, and no sound seems to come from it.
    I'll try to help more once I'm at home and can look at it. Which Sonar are you using?

this is the dempo of Sonar 6 Producer, but I wouldn't get that huge a version when it's time to buy it. I just wanted to try it and see if I was comnpletely lost (which I am) or able to muddle through.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    this is the dempo of Sonar 6 Producer, but I wouldn't get that huge a version when it's time to buy it. I just wanted to try it and see if I was comnpletely lost (which I am) or able to muddle through.
    Ok, I have that version, but use Sonar 4 PE because it works better on my computer. I'll look at the book for 6 and see if I can help.

Go Back to forum