• Register
  • Help

Topic: flute vibrato and Kontakt editing

flute vibrato and Kontakt editing

i have some (minor) problems here; although I'm absolutely not a beginner with these things I am somehow stuck.

what I want to do: at the moment, with flute 1, the vibrato function seems to produce a tremolo rather than a vibrato. I hear no pitch modulation - is this normal and intended?

So since I own the Kontakt full version I tried to manipulate the flute sound to my needs... but neither can I see how the tremolo("vibrato") effect is programmed or mapped to the key pressure, nor does my try to use an lfo for pitch show any effect.
    Is there some kind of hidden protection? Things going on beneath the surface? Should it be possible to do whatever I like inside Kontakt?

Thanks for insight

Uli Reuter
    film composer, Germany

Re: flute vibrato and Kontakt editing

Thanks for your post. The timing of your post couldn't be better. Whenever I get a question like this I check the instrument programming to see if everything is as it should be. In this case I discovered that there are indeed two oversights in the flute vibrato programming. The reason I mentioned the timing of your post is because I am preparing the release of the K2 version of JABB and corrections can still be incorporated.

Since you have the full version of K2 and seem willing to do a little editing I'll try to briefly describe what to look for. Vibrato for all acoustic instruments is a combination of amplitude and pitch modulation (there is also a subtle brightness component but I'll ignore that for the purposes of this post.) Most instruments have a ratio between these two that favors pitch modulation. Not so with flute - amplitude modulation is the stronger of the two. There is still a pitch component - just weaker than the amplitude component. Vibrato is supplied by two modules in the modulation section of Kontakt. These are rate synchronized modules. The first one is for pitch, the second for amplitude. The corrections need to be applied to the intensity slider of the pitch module (increase to 1.6%) for 3 groups (Flute sus, Flute legato, and Flute sus no pitchbend) plus activation of a graphic map for defining Aftertouch behavior over the range of the controller. This map restricts the pitch component to 74% once it reaches the desired contribution but allows the amplitude component of the tone and the air flow sound (cc12) to increase further in intensity as is the case with a real flute. Hmmm, I've probably only succeeded in confusing you more. If you really want to pursue this, send me a private message and I'll try to give you information in greater detail. Brief explanations for this sort of thing are doomed to failure. Most people will just want to wait for the update.

By the way, don't overlook cc12 when you are using the flute. It is also synchronized to the vibrato speed and intensity to simulate the pulsation of the breath sound that is such an important part of the flute vibrato. Use it with discretion though - a little goes a long way.

Re: flute vibrato and Kontakt editing

Thank you Tom,

thanks to your post I can now do what I want to. I must also admit that part of my problem *was" some fault on my side (wrong grops selected occasionally - incredible.)...

I now tried stuff like modulating the eq by an LFO and adding more pitch vibrato and I am quite happy now.

Uli Reuter
    film composer, Germany

Go Back to forum