• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tuba Christmas

Share/Bookmark

Tuba Christmas

Low brass(horns, trombones, & tuba) play 3 Christmas tunes.

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=4666370&q=hi

Re: Tuba Christmas

Gary,

What a fun piece set for low brass. Nice work!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

In another life, I was a high School band director. Every Decemer I would go to the Mid-west Band and Orchestra clinic in Chicago. In the Hilton lobby, there would be a Tuba Christmas "sing-a-long." It was a wonderful sound!

Quote Originally Posted by DKeenum
    In another life, I was a high School band director. Every Decemer I would go to the Mid-west Band and Orchestra clinic in Chicago. In the Hilton lobby, there would be a Tuba Christmas "sing-a-long." It was a wonderful sound!
    As some of you may know, I am a board member of the Harvey Phillips Foundation and work closely with him on various projects...Harvey Phillips is the founder of Tuba Christmas in addition to being the father of modern American tuba playing.

I was (well, still am) a student of his...I learn something from him every visit!
    I will be at Midwest in the Palmer House on the 23rd helping out and (of course) playing. Please look for me; I'll be the one with a euphonium.
    Tradition in Chicago was to have Dr. Frederick Fennell conduct the ensemble ...since he has passed away, we will have to find another conductor for Chicago this year .

If you live near Indianapolis, I will be the emcee for the Indy TubaChristmas at the ArtsGarden...check it out!! The conductor is Dr. Robert Grechesky of Butler University, himself a wonderful euphonium player.

TubaChristmas is a hit all over the country! To find one in your area, just go to www.tubachristmas.com and look for the event nearest to you. Go and be amazed at the warm, lovely sound of tubas and euphoniums.

The receipts from sale of TubaChristmas items go directly to the Harvey Phillips Foundation, which supports performers on euphonium and tuba, in addition to funding composers who want to write for those instruments.

The music you hear at TubaChristmas was arranged by the late, great American composer Alec Wilder and by the very alive great American composer/arranger/performer Norlan Bewley (my college housemate )

If you buy a new small yellow or green book, it's my Finale work (the older ones were done aeons ago in C-Lab Notator!! ) and was "proof-listened" using GPO, even though I had to use french horns until the wonderful new euphonium samples become available.

Please do attend the TubaChristmas nearest you!!!!

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Very astute arranging and voicing of this, Gary; for
    the most part, clear, sharp writing. I might suggest
    another look at the transitional areas; and the ending
    seems somewhat abrupt to me.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum