• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Full Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Full Orchestra

I just finished an orchestral piece for my graduate school portfolio and now I need to render it and make it sound as realistic as possible. I'm an old hat with GPO -- I've been using it with sibelius and Tracktion for years -- I'm just wondering if anyone here has any tips and tricks to make this sound as great as possible. I'm going to render this in Tracktion since that's the sequencer I use and there are so many instruments involved that sibelius' rendering studders too much!

Any help will be definitely appreciated! Thanks! Paul

Re: Full Orchestra

Hi, Bergelp--Exciting, to now be ready for rendering your grad school orchestral piece.

The most obvious piece of advice I would offer is that you Definitely have made the right choice to use a sequencer for the recording, rather than a notation program. You want all the tools for recording and Producing to be at your disposal.

Since you apparently have the piece worked out in Sibelius, I'm assuming the tracks have been quantized. This will be the Major thing to change inside the sequencer. I would anticipate a good deal of hand-editing in the Piano View, so that timing of note entrances becomes loosened up. A very detailed tempo map should be programmed also.

If you haven't already taken full advantage of CC1, make sure that's being used on all tracks as dynamically as possible. Go over the velocity values with a fine toothed comb also, making sure they are appropriately rising, falling, randomized etc.

Basically, if you have indeed worked your piece up in Sibelius, it's now time to create a "roughed up" version which will sound much more natural when recorded--and you said that's your goal, to have as "realistic" a recording as possible.

By the way, I'm sure you know, the Garritan Ambience reverb program sounds excellent. Tasteful use of that at varying amounts on the tracks is a must--I would just suggest you err on the side of too little rather than too much--a huge opera house effect may sound impressive for a minute or so, but then one realizes that performance nuances tend to get lost in the wash. Make a more intimate recording which still has enough of a live ambience feel to it to be "natural" sounding.

Ah--one more suggestion. Once you have done all the "roughing up" editing and mixed to a two track, I urge you to Not let the work stop there. Even with the most liberal use of dynamic modulation in a MIDI recording, you can do Much to add even more nuance to the 2-track .wav file in a dedicated audio editor such as Sound Forge. I mean that you can improve the musicality of the final piece even after you've finished recording it.

You're an old hand at GPO, you said, so I doubt if I've brought up anything you're not aware of. I'm mostly here to cheer you on. Best of luck with it.

rbowser

Quote Originally Posted by bergelp
    I just finished an orchestral piece for my graduate school portfolio and now I need to render it and make it sound as realistic as possible. I'm an old hat with GPO -- I've been using it with sibelius and Tracktion for years -- I'm just wondering if anyone here has any tips and tricks to make this sound as great as possible. I'm going to render this in Tracktion since that's the sequencer I use and there are so many instruments involved that sibelius' rendering studders too much!

Any help will be definitely appreciated! Thanks! Paul

Hi ... I'm new on the forum, so please excuse any lapses in sanity. I have been running MacFin07 with the bundled GPO, and am thinking about purchasing Full GPO. Will I encounter any difficulties running that with the Kontak 2 player in Fin07? If so, please comment.

Thanks,

Choral Conductor

Quote Originally Posted by Choral Conductor
    Will I encounter any difficulties running that with the Kontak 2 player in Fin07? If so, please comment.
    Yes, full GPO can not be used in the Finale Kontakt 2 Player. However, it has its own player that can easily be used within Finale.

Full GPO is the most affordable full orchestra library, and definitely worth its price.

Re: JABB

Ok, if I were to purchase JABB, and install it, would I be able to build a Concert Band Score using my Fin07GPO instrument list, and then pull in Saxophones from the JABB instrument list? I.e., can one use instruments from the two lists in the same file ... as long as they are both GPO? I know that one can not mix Softsynth and GPO in the same file.

Dean[/SIZE]

Ok, if I were to purchase JABB, and install it, would I be able to build a Concert Band Score using my Fin07GPO instrument list, and then pull in Saxophones from the JABB instrument list? I.e., can one use instruments from the two lists in the same file ... as long as they are both GPO? I know that one can not mix Softsynth and GPO in the same file.

Dean[/SIZE]
    Yes you can!

Björn

Thanks for the info ... one last question on this issue ... does JABB support Kontackt 2, as found in Fin07 ... We have already established that Full GPO does not.

Dean

Thanks for the info ... one last question on this issue ... does JABB support Kontackt 2, as found in Fin07 ... We have already established that Full GPO does not.

Dean
    No. JABB als doesn´t support Kontakt 2. Probably JABB and Full GPO will do that at the same time. But If you have read General Discussions today you can see that Gary has explained why it is delayed and probably will be more delayed.

Björn

I'm thinking about setting up a web site (if I can figure out how). If I want to place some Finale/GPO files on a page on that site, what kind of file format does one have to save to, to make this happen? And, once the file is correctly saved, how does one import it to said web site? I am a total novice at this stuff, obviously, I would guess.

Dean

Dean[/size]
    Hi, Dean...

Please check THIS out. It mixes GPO, JABB, and Finale GPO to create a wind ensemble.

When you're done with that, check THIS out as well!

I used Overture 4 for these, but it can also be done in Finale.

I'll be glad to help if you need it.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum