• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Zune Is released But The iPod Takes Flight

Share/Bookmark

The Zune Is released But The iPod Takes Flight

Apple today announced integration with six major airlines for seat charging connections and also back seat video display where available. A partnership with Panasonic will expand this technology to a larger market in the future.

http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/11/...otic/index.php

Re: The Zune Is released But The iPod Takes Flight

Competition is good. It encourages innovation. Good luck to Microsoft. They've got their work cut out for them.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Do you know anybody who used Windows 1.0? How about 2.0? Me neither. Zillions of people bought Windows 3.0 and 3.1 though.

The way I see it, Zune is a respectable product, but right now Apple has better products for the money. The gap will narrow with Zune 2.0. By Zune 3.1 it may be a different story.

A startup might not make it to 3.1. Microsoft has no such worries.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Do you know anybody who used Windows 1.0? How about 2.0? Me neither. Zillions of people bought Windows 3.0 and 3.1 though.

-JF
    Me!

I played with version 1.0, but never did any real work with it. Did use 2.0 for some real work, ran on a 80286 machine. There was also a windows 386 version if I remember correctly..

Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Thumbs up Re: The Zune Is released But The iPod Takes Flight

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst

The way I see it, Zune is a respectable product, but right now Apple has better products for the money. The gap will narrow with Zune 2.0. By Zune 3.1 it may be a different story.

A startup might not make it to 3.1. Microsoft has no such worries.

-JF
    Unfortunately I did. I actually started with Windows SAE (Single Application Environment) and worked my way painfully through 1, 2 and 3. I put myselft through college with my own business building computers for small to medium sized businesses like 10 man engineering firms. Does anyone remamber the 286 booster card for Windows 3.0? Talk about a nightmare! It was supposed to turbo boost a 286 so it could run Windows faster, but if it made any difference we could not tell.

I digress...

I think the Zune / iPod war will be a great deal of fun to watch. As I see it we as consumers will greatly benefit from it. You are right, you cannot count Microsoft out, that is what they said about XBox!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Convinced that it was a passing fad, I did all my early PC programming on a Hallock S100 8086 coprocessor card, which I later souped up with a NEC V30. Ok, I was off on that one. But old habits never die. I still do all my 68K assembly work with a Definicon board which still cranks with my new 975BX mobo.

So you think they'll steal that little kid from Mazda to go, "Zune, Zune?"

Howard

Go Back to forum