• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: MASSIVE problems with Logic Pro/missing AU/EXS24

Share/Bookmark

MASSIVE problems with Logic Pro/missing AU/EXS24

Okay, I am seriously out of my depth here. I haven't used Logic Pro for the past 4 months due to family trauma's. I booted up Logic for the first time today and have encountered some worrying problems I cannot seem to resolve. I have been as methodical as I can be, although at the best of times, this stuff eludes me as to how to solve it (technology not being my strong point).
    I am desperately in need of help as I have to sit down with a director next week and spot his feature, starting work on it almost immediately thereafter...

I will break it down as best as I can:

PROBLEMS:

Logic booted up okay (having told me I need an update, not suprisingly after 4 mths). I installed this & it opened up fine.

I noticed that all my Audio Units (barring Virtual Guitarist, whose audio files were subsequently not located) were completely missing. In other words, East West library, B4, Elektric Piano, Battery, Absynth... and more were completely missing. They were not found in any drop down menu's. Project Manager did not show them in any list.

EXS24 still appeared to contain all it's previous instruments, but when I attempted to load these, eg PMI Bosendorfer, it took quite literally 4-5 MINUTES to load a single patch. Even with new samples, I have never known my system to take this long. Once loaded, the samples appeared to be fine, but obviously the amount of time taken to load is untenable.

Troubleshooting this myself I can only come up with a list of various options:

1. My Imac G5 suffered with a known issue (the power adaptor needed to be completely replaced earlier this year, just prior to me stopping using Logic approx 5 mths ago now). The repair was carried out and the issues (ie the computer powering off unexpectedly disappeared)

2. Sometime after that my computer suffered an unexpected kernel panic. My husband seemed to manage to repair this & it has not happened since.

3. I transferred all my data onto a new Lacie (the porsche designed) hard drive. THis is the hard drive I am now using, and to my memory have never before used it with Logic. (in other words, before i was using a different hard drive, which I transferred data from and no longer use, but this was the hard drive I originally used with Logic)

I have since re-installed the software component of East West (leaving the samples where they were on this new hard drive). Logic now reads this fine, just as before, so this problem at least is fixed.

But I still have immense problems with the EXS24, which regardless of which samples I try to load (old or new, big or small) takes absolutely ages to find them. I have tried re-installing the Bosendorfer, having deleted the previous files. It still takes ages loading up the samples initially.

My conclusion is that it is either a problem with the EXS24, or with this new hard drive.

PLEASE PLEASE help if anyone out there has had this problem, or can work out what on earth is going on. I just want my system back to how it was. I am resigned to having to re-install all the other AU's but it is the EXS24 which is causing me real concern.....

Re: MASSIVE problems with Logic Pro/missing AU/EXS24

Andrea,
    you need to rescan your hardrive using the Logic Project manger.
    It will learn the new location of the samples and store the new path in the samplerpatches.
    After the scan the patches should load a lot faster.

Hans

Hans, I have tried using the Project Manager. It just comes up with a list of what is already there, minus the missing samples (for example Bosendorfer doesn't come up in the list, nor does any of the missing Audio Units such as the B4, Absynth etc..

It just doesnt find them. And I don't know how to make it find them. I tried clicking 'Reset & re-scan button' but this just re-boots up Logic & doesn't seem to do the trick.

Help.....

A better alternative to the Project Manager is Redmatica's ExsManager.It does in minutes what the Project Manager needs hours to acheive: relink your samples to their instruments.

Of course, you can use the PM - it does work - but ExsManager is light years ahead.

Is the hard drive external Firewire? If so, make sure the firmware is up to date (check the LaCie web page).

Nigel

Also, have you tried running the AU Manager to reset your AU instruments? it is found in the menu bar when Logic is running; I think it may also exist in the Utilities folder. I would rescan for audio units.
    Mr. Kerry Muzzey

Hi.This may sound strange but. In the EX drop down for patches. If you click them ALL are they intact? If some have selections that will obviously net be patches. If you find any of theese,near the bottom area of patches. Find the one that says rescan. Also since &.2 there is a newer update for Logic. Check the software update to see if you are current. Nevr know. JON

Thanks for all that. I wondered if the Lacie drive could be the problem (have used Lacie's before without problem, but not that particular one)

The EXS Manager you mention sounds good, though for the time being, i want to work out why I can't get the Project Manager to resolve this. As I mention, I can't even see these various Audio Units in the list in Project Manager. How do I kick start this process?

Will definitely think about getting a different hard drive & checking it's up to date too. As far as Logic goes, I should be up to date as I performed an update before opening it up.

Hi. I too have heard about Lacies starting to come back for repair.I'm not speaking from experience and am hesitant to bash things I don't know about first hand. But when I got my external drive I was reccomended away from the Lacies'. For $100 you can get Diskwarrior which really is a blessing for putting you frag.s inline.Did you try under Preferences using the Audio unit manager? I have had to rescan my audio units at times. Usually only if I install a softsynth that needed to be updated. Also did you look at all the patch categories in the drop down menu of the ex? JON

Hi again. Also I am assuming you know about the LUG. But if not it is a yahoo group with over a thousand Logic users. 'Logic Users Group" LUG for short.Also of course the Apple forums. Here is another one http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/index.php . Basically OSXaudio.com.. JON

Andrea, this one might sound like a no-brainer, but give it a try just in case. I had problems with an external firewire drive and this simple fix worked for me. Unplug the power on the drive and the Mac, unplug all the USB/Firewire cables from the mac and the drive, then replug everything in. And if you're routing the drive through a firewire hub, also unplug the hub from its power source and replug everything back into it. I'm sure you probably already tried that, but it's worth a mention. And I agree about Project Manager... if you can't resolve the "where are my samples?" issue with that, then something bigger must be wrong.

Kerry
    Mr. Kerry Muzzey

Go Back to forum