• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Virtual Strings - Future Music Compares Orchestral Libraries

Share/Bookmark

Virtual Strings - Future Music Compares Orchestral Libraries

I recently found out from my UK distributor about a comparison of the orchestral libraries that Future Music Magazine did focusing on strings.

In last month's issue of Future Music, six lof the most popular libraries were compared. GPO won the Value Award and congratulations to VSL who won the Platinum Award.

The article offers some good advice:
    "Orchestral players spend years practicing, improving and learning. How one player moves from a B to C# will differ from the person sitting next to him, and so the sound of a string orchestra is really a group of individuals playing the same notes but with infinitesimal performance differences. Factor in that any phrase might start with a note that fades in, stops abruptly, or requires players to pluck their strings (or even play behind the bridge) and you begin to see why sampled libraries have grown to such extraordinary sizes. How do you build a convincing amount of variation, taking all of these factors into account, and provide it in accessible software form?

Well, that’s the challenge facing these head-to-head contenders this issue. Over the page, we’ll try to sort the men from the boys, but for now, one cautionary note: it doesn’t matter how good the package is – if you want an authentic string sound, you’ll need to do some research. Try listening to some classical orchestral music or to your favourite film soundtracks and try to tune your ear to hear the subtle playing nuances between the different sections. Do this well, and a convincing string sound can be yours.…"
    With regards to GPO, Future Music writes:
    "Gary Garritan was perhaps the quickest out of the blocks when large sampled string libraries became a software reality. Released in 2002, Garritan Strings was the first to capitalise on the increased power computers were beginning to offer, along with expanded RAM and ample hard-drive space. Then... came Garritan Personal Orchestra, which boasts a full symphony orchestra for a budget price... for many, this is all the orchestra you’ll ever need.....

There’s an enthusiastic following for this collection and the website has lots of clips from users, keen to share their offerings with the world. Garritan’s new Stradivari Solo Violin looks set to pick up where GPO left off.
    Value 10 out of 10.
    You can get lots for your money here; it’s so easy to use it’s no wonder there’s a legion of fans."
    We are extremely honored as all the other libraries are really good.

If they like this, wait until they see what we have coming. We'll be continuing our string journey with GOS 2. With the original GOS we introduced many innovations that laid the groundwork for the industry. GPO then opened the doors of orchestral sampling to nearly every musician and focused on ensemble-building and expressive real-time play. GOS2 and GPO Advanced are expected to change some rules as well. Also the collection of solo strings will be finished in the not-too-distant future (Stradivari Violin, Gofriller Cello, Polatta Viola, Amati Bass and Guarneri del Jesu Violin). The best is still yet to come.

Gary Garritan

Re: Virtual Strings - Future Music Compares Orchestral Libraries

GOS2 will rule the world. I own VSL libraries, and Garritan's libs are way more easy to mix, and to perform. It's just smarter.

Gary

You are probably imune to congratulations, but non the less you get one more in that article. That your personal orchestra library is vital to inspire new composers to give it a go is simply fact. That it is a value is redundant. That you have led the way to a modern technique of composing is not only obvious, but established. Composition studies will have to change in the manner of your example with GPO and with RK composition. Alexander University is already shadowing your pioneering. And I will say it again - composing with sound! what a concept... shouldn't that be the way?

The next generation of GOS advanced or GPO 2 or whatever, is not only anticipated, but expected. And it is expected to be SUPERB!

Congratulations on yet one more recognition.

jamiha

You guys really have been innovators, and I've always liked the sound of GOS. I'm itching to buy something and I'm very interested in VSL Chamber strings as an addition/compliment to GOS but if you can convince me that GOS2 and GPOA are reasonably close to a release (like, in the next quarter or something) I could be persuaded to wait and see...

EWQLSO Platinum Pro XP is unbeatable.... sorry folks...

Quote Originally Posted by BernardoUzeda
    EWQLSO Platinum Pro XP is unbeatable.... sorry folks...
    There's a good post in another thread around here somewhere to the effect that it isn't just the quality of the sounds themselves, an area which EWQL certainly excels in. There are tons of libs with great sounds now. What raises the bar these days is integrating those sounds into a playable environment with great programming. That is the sort of thing with is making libs like the Garritan Strad, VSL's VI and Bela D. Media's new Celtic Wind library rise above the rest. The days of it being acceptable to drop down a menu listing 27 different articulations and placing one per track are over and that to me will be EWQL's major failing as these next gen libs come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    I like some parts of EWQLSO, but I'm really not a big fan of their strings. IMO, they're too hyped and buzzy for a lot of things.
    That's the trick, isn't it- current libs, even the best ones, are so focused. What's needed is a polyphonic version of the Strad- something that is responsive to style and context and can do different things, not just "chamber" or "Hollywood" or "pop" or whatever...

I truly believe Sonivox will reign for a long time. After all the librarys I own, it still stands out front.. No matter what, the sound is just there. Cant get enough of there work on this one.. My thoughts of course..

Quote Originally Posted by mech289
    I truly believe Sonivox will reign for a long time. After all the librarys I own, it still stands out front.. No matter what, the sound is just there. Cant get enough of there work on this one.. My thoughts of course..
    And now in K2 format, it will be even better!...I suspect it will benefit greatly from the script in K2...and yes it will reing for a long time IMO...

Thumbs up Re: Virtual Strings - Future Music Compares Orchestral Libraries

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchino
    GOS2 will rule the world. I own VSL libraries, and Garritan's libs are way more easy to mix, and to perform. It's just smarter.
    +1 here - count me amongst the legion
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast