• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar LE MFX capable host?

Question Sonar LE MFX capable host?

I have recorded a few songs using GPO and Sonar Le, but I would like to be able to convert some midi files. I found the plugin on the GPO support page. It is described as "simply load up a standard MIDI file in your MFX-capable host, point the output at GPO, and add the plugin to the MIDI tracks that you want to translate"

Sounds easy enough, but can someone tell me:
    Is Sonar LE an MFX capable host?
    If so, how or where do you insert MFX plugins?

Thanks in advance for anything to point me in this direction.

Re: Sonar LE MFX capable host?

From midiplugins.com:

Q: What is an MFX plug-in?
    A: An MFX plug-in (or MFX plugin) is a type of MIDI plug-in or MIDI effect that is designed to run on Windows platforms only. It can be used to generate or process MIDI in a compatible host application. The plug-in is a COM object and part of the DXi2 (DirectX instrument) architecture developed by Cakewalk.

Q: How do I install MFX plug-ins?
    A: Refer to the installation instructions provided with the MFX plug-in. Advanced users may copy single dll files to the shared MFX plug-ins directory, and register the dll using regsvr32.exe.

Q: Which hosts can I use MFX plug-ins with?
    A: Cubase SX/SX2/SX3/SL/SL2 and Nuendo can all utilise MFX plug-ins by using the MFX wrapper available on the Steinberg FTP server. SONAR, Cakewalk Pro Audio 8 or higher, Project5 and Guitar Studio can also host MFX.

Q: How do I use MFX plug-ins?
    A: Refer to the instructions provided with your host.

From the Midi file translator readme:

TenCrazy.com MFX Velocity to CC

There is an outboard utility included with Garritan Personal Orchestra called "GPO Standard MIDI File Translator". Essentially, it translates the traditional volume control for notes, namely note velocity, and substitutes it with CC#1 messages, as GPO uses the Mod Wheel (for most instruments) to control volume contour.

TenCrazy.com MFX Velocity to CC does the same sort of thing, but as an in-host plugin (including real-time play!). Also, you could map other controllers (like Var1 and Var2 in the GPO player) to certain velocity ranges for other expression techniques you may dream up. Also works in any other synths you might find a use for!

Place the .dll file with your other MFX files: Cakewalk\Shared MIDI Plugins would be a good choice for standard SONAR installations. Then you must get the MFX information into the Windows registry with regsvr32...

* EASY WAY: Copy TcMfxVelocityToCcReg.bat to the directory with the .dll, and double-click to run the .bat file.

If you don't get a RegSvr32 "succeeded" message, with the command window only flashing for a second, that means the batch file has failed. In that case, you must use the...

* HARD WAY: Open a command window, CD to the installation directory, and type:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe TcMfxVelocityToCc.dll

If your Windows system directory is elsewhere, make the appropriate path change.

Really, though, you *should* be using the...

* FLEXIBLE WAY: Go to TenCrazy.com and get the "Windows Shell Extensions" distribution. Read those instructions... and never have to worry about this process again!

Load up a standard MIDI file in your MFX-capable host, point the output at GPO, and add the plugin to the MIDI tracks that you want to translate. By default, MFX Velocity to CC defaults to substituting Modulation Wheel (CC#1) messages for velocity over the entire velocity range.

Change "Low CC val" and "High CC val" to set the listenable range that you want to be produced, so that it's not to loud or soft for your taste. Increase the "CC Variance" slider to introduce a little "jitter" to the levels for "human" error.

Use "Low Velocity" and "High Velocity" to set your thresholds. For example, if you want all notes of velocity under 32 to be played with a CC value of 64, then set Low Velocity to 32 and Low CC to 64.

You can change the "Controller" slider to anything you want. Feel free to use Var1 (CC#22) or Var2 (CC#24) as well. In fact, you're quite free to have two (or more!) instances of this plug chained in serial, translating two different controllers at once! In this manner, you can control Volume (CC#1) of the whole range, and introduce intonation variance (CC#22) in the high velocity ranges.

Another little trick is that you can make the Low CC val higher than the High CC val, which will invert the relationship of the velocity/controller mapping (i.e. high velocity == low controller). Combine this with Var2 (CC#24) and you can get timbre variations at only low-levels!

Remember, the velocity/controller translation will not appear in your track event list until you use "Apply MIDI Effects" (or equivalent) command on your track data. In this manner, you can tweak parameters on the fly until you get them to what they should sound like!

WARNING: This plugin works best on mono/poly-1 tracks, as CCs operate on a channel basis. Also, the caveats listed in the GPO Standard MIDI File Translator notes also apply, such as inappropriateness for use on organ tracks.

Note that my only test platform is SONAR 3: your mileage may vary on other hosts!

To point it at GPO, you can drop the midi effect into the FX bin of the track you want to affect. Choose "Process effects" or something to that extent under a toolbar to permanently apply the translation.

Alternatively you can use the windows shell method markleford recommends. This allows you to right click on a midi file in windows explorer and click on a "translate" button, which will translate the data without ever needing to load sonar le.

Re: Sonar LE MFX capable host?

Thanks for all the information. I will give that a try and see if that works.

Go Back to forum