• Register
  • Help

Topic: Impressionism influenced scores?

Impressionism influenced scores?

Just wondering, what are some of the French impressionism influenced scores out there (Debussy, Ravel..etc)? I was born in the early 70's, and by then, I think that style of score has already fallen out of popularity, so I really don't have any point of reference.

Re: Impressionism influenced scores?

Are you looking for more recent music? If so I'd recommend almost anything by Toru Takemitsu, but especially a wonderful orchestral piece called "Twill By Twilight." Several recordings are available.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Not necessarily recent--older stuff is fine, as long as the recording quality isn't completely horrible.

Thanks for the suggestion--I'll look into it.

Some of Sorabji's piano music, if you can get hold of recordings, is very impressionistic. My last piano teacher (Charles Hopkins) recorded a piece called Gulistan

which was like Debussy on speed. Some of it was notated on seven staves because of the number of ideas the composer was trying to sustain.

Roussel, "Le festin de l'araignée"

Los Angeles

Close Encounters of The Third Kind has impressionistic textures to be sure. Lots of 20th Century Russian as well but even those composers were influenced as well by the French style.
    Dave Connor www.daveconnor.net

Try Jerry Goldsmith's Legend soundtrack

Thanks--great suggestions! I'll go ahead and check them all out.

Go Back to forum