• Register
  • Help

Topic: Balanced output to phone?

Share/Bookmark

Balanced output to phone?

Hi,

I just set up my first REAL giga system, and I am using a soundcard without a phone jack (Echo Mia). I\'m wondering what would be the easiest (inexpensive but efficient) way to connect my headphones to it. The outputs are supposed to be balanced +4dBu on the Mia.

Also, anybody knows how to route the output of a soundcard to the input of another so that I can provisionally hook the headphones to my built in audio card?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Balanced output to phone?

Hi,
    I profit from physical conecting output from one card to the other sound card. You have control over output and input /internal mixers/ I route my PCI64 to MAYA44 and works good./Out1>monitors Out2>Hphones controled by internal Maya\'s mixer/ Maybe this could help.
    Regards Vlad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VladRox:
    Hi,
    I profit from physical conecting output from one card to the other sound card. You have control over output and input /internal mixers/ I route my PCI64 to MAYA44 and works good./Out1>monitors Out2>Hphones controled by internal Maya\'s mixer/ Maybe this could help.
    Regards Vlad
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Vlad,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. The thing is that my \"second soundcard\" is really just the sound chip in my Asus motherboard, so in this case that does not seem possible.

I might have to buy a mixer, and I hate having to do that just to get a phone out. There must be an easier way around this...

Thanks for your help!

Hi,
    Two things:
    a/build in audio module has just one output?
    b/for what purpose you need Hphones monitoring?/to listen both sound card output?
    Do you intend to use adventualy mixer on the output? Can you be a bit specific with your setup?
    Vlad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VladRox:
    Hi,
    Two things:
    a/build in audio module has just one output?
    b/for what purpose you need Hphones monitoring?/to listen both sound card output?
    Do you intend to use adventualy mixer on the output? Can you be a bit specific with your setup?
    Vlad
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hey Vlad,

Thanks for being willing to help, man.

I need headphone just to be able to play gigastudio and be able to listen to what I\'m doing. My built in sound chip isn\'t GSIF compatible, and since I\'m working in Windows 2000, it just won\'t work. So, I need to work with Gigastudio through Echo Mia.

Now, the Mia doesn\'t have headphone out, and although I could buy a set of monitors, I\'d rather use headphones so as not to disturb my family (my setup is in the living room).

Now, what you say is true. I guess I could run the outs of the MIA through the Mic in in my motherboard. I didn\'t think of that, thanks! I\'ll give it a thought

My question is, in order not to sacrifice too much on the quality department, is there some affordable module (mixer or otherwise) to get a headphone out from the balanced outs of the MIA?

Thanks a lot for yout time Vlad, appreciate it!

Best Regards

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrArkadine:

My question is, in order not to sacrifice too much on the quality department, is there some affordable module (mixer or otherwise) to get a headphone out from the balanced outs of the MIA?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a thought, but have you considered getting monitors with a headphone output? Even if you don\'t want to disturb anyone, it can get pretty claustrophobic in a pair of headphones without the possibility of parole - and hey, you\'re family might actually WANT to hear your stuff (well, now and again anyway)?

Just a thought :-)

Hi,
    Sounds as good solution to buy a pair of monitors with hphones output. I don\'t see any reason to use mixer on the output just for monitoring purpose unless you have another demands in advance /connection with other sound cards, modules, mic etc/
    Still I think you can route your Mia\'s output to the mobo\'s sound module \"Line In\" physically /mic in should give problems?/ Than use 1/8 out to conect your hphones. You have overal control over the windows mixer and you set! If I\"m not mistaken Mia\'s OUT is done by RCA conectors so you need to find
    \"Y\" wire /Left RCA OUT + Right RCA OUT to stereo 1/8 jack/ probably you can find this at Radio Shack easily.
    Good luck and regards Vlad

[This message has been edited by VladRox (edited 04-16-2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Z6:
    Just a thought, but have you considered getting monitors with a headphone output? Even if you don\'t want to disturb anyone, it can get pretty claustrophobic in a pair of headphones without the possibility of parole - and hey, you\'re family might actually WANT to hear your stuff (well, now and again anyway)?

Just a thought :-)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hey Z6,

Thanks for the idea, I must admit I never thought of getting monitors with phone out. I didn\'t know that existed
    Really! I\'ve never had a couple of monitors in my life, so...

The truth is that I have very little time to play with GigaStudio, and mostly at night when my wife is watching TV in the living room, so I\'m pretty much set for a couple of good headphones for now.

The thing is that it seems almost too much trouble to work out of the Mia without sacrificing quality on the phone out, and without dishing out for a mixer or something. So, I might sell the Mia in eBay (interested anyone? ), and get another card with integrated phone out, and MIDI (which the Mia doesn\'t have either)

Thanks for the tip anyway!

Take care

Hi,
    Sounds as good solution to buy a pair of monitors with hphones output. I don\'t see any reason to use mixer on the output just for monitoring purpose unless you have another demands in advance /connection with other sound cards, modules, mic etc/
    Still I think you can route your Mia\'s output to the mobo\'s sound module \"Line In\" physically /mic in should give problems?/ Than use 1/8 out to conect your hphones. You have overal control over the windows mixer and you set! If I\"m not mistaken Mia\'s OUT is done by RCA conectors so you need to find
    \"Y\" wire /Left RCA OUT + Right RCA OUT to stereo 1/8 jack/ probably you can find this at Radio Shack easily.
    Good luck and regards Vlad

[This message has been edited by VladRox (edited 04-16-2002).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    VladRox,

I think I got a cable a while back that would take a phone in and would input into an amplifier like the ones you have for home cinema systems, for example to listen to a walkman output through a HiFi system.
    Maybe I can find it, and see if it will work the other way around...

If I can manage to get a decent sound from that, I might stick with that setup for a while. Otherwise, I might have to sell my Mia (Ay caramba! ), and get another GSIF card with phone out integrated, like I told Z6.

Thanks a lot for your help, man. You\'ve been great!

Have a good day!

[This message has been edited by MrArkadine (edited 04-23-2002).]

I found a huge selection of Hosa connectors, adapters, and cables at www.music123.com. You should be able to find a usable adapter/Y-cable solution there.

Go Back to forum