• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Do NOT special order from sweetwater

Do NOT special order from sweetwater

edit: For anyone that is new to the thread I'll add this update; Everything was taken care of quickly. Apparently Sweetwater didn't have the tracking number at the end of the day. I had thought they did have it and were just refusing to give it to me. My sales guy was able to get it first thing this morning and called me right away. I'll leave the original post, but I'd like to add that things weren't as bad as I first thought.

Not exactly sample library related but I thought I'd pass on a personal experience so future buyers could beware. I've ordered several things from sweetwater before and never had a problem until now.

So in early October I placed a special order for a product Sweetwater did not carry but they told me they could get. 2 weeks later I was told there would be a delay, and every week after that I was given a new date that I would have it. Last week I was told I would have it on Nov 22nd, this week it was confirmed that it was shipped and I would have it the 24th.

Yeah... day after thanksgiving. Well I'm not going to be in town so I call up to see what can be done. And what will they do? NOTHING. They can't change the shipping type (and that I could understand) but they won't even give me the tracking # so that I can make other arrangements with FedEx.

What did they say to do? Try writing a note telling them not to leave it. This product cost $1000 (small software box) and I'm supposed to write a note and hope the driver gets it and actually does it? If not, I don't get back until Monday... I'll have a $1000 box sitting by my front door for 4 days (oh and it's supposed to rain Sunday).

Edit: The email I got made it look like they were refusing to give me the tracking # but I learned this morning they actually didn't have it yet. My sales guy got it this morning and called me right away, so the below paragraph no longer applies.

So since they refuse to give me the tracking #, I don't see anything else I can do. (any ideas are welcome) In any case, I don't see myself ordering from sweetwater any more.
    JP Garbarini

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Re: Do NOT special order from sweetwater

I had what I'd classify as a complete nightmare with a Sweetwater deal many years ago. Basically they sold me one thing but shipped another.

After several years of me mentioning that I would never do business with them again whenever (and where ever) asked I was contacted by someone there asking me what my problem was.

At that point I did what I probably should have done way back when... I got in touch with Chuck Surack, the president of the company. I contacted him to ask (tell) him to please just leave me alone... I really did not want to deal with anyone from his company.

He managed to make the deal good again... no small feat I might add, and he did so with no prompting on my part. He also set me up with a sales rep who had a clue (and who, sadly left there to pursue a career as a performer... what is the world coming to?)

So, my advice would be to crash through the gate keepers and talk to Chuck. He'll figure out a way to make things work!

It's a shame that one has to resort to such things, but every once in a while I guess it is necessary.
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise

Do you still have his email (I'll start looking on their site after I post this)?

All I need is the tracking # so I can tell FedEx to hang on to it at the station (which FedEx can do).

I'm just stunned that sweetwater won't give it to me when they know I'm going to end up with a $1000 package sitting on my doorstep for 4 days.
    JP Garbarini

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

I have had mostly good dealings with sweetwater, I changed sales reps once, and have a good relationship with the new dude. Usually, they do try to help out as much as they can. They are strange about giving out tracking numbers, but if you complain enough, I have had them give it to me once. You actually have to get it from the shipping people instead of the sales guy. They explained why they don't give them out to me, made just a tiny bit of sence, but not much, and it was a feat to get. But, with any dealings with sales and people, sometimes things don't go as good as they should. I like to keep my options open when buying stuff.

That's really surprising. I've probably ordered ~$4000 worth of stuff through Sweetwater and I've had absolutely nothing but good experiences. Even when problems arose my sales engineer was able to clear it up promptly. They've gone out of their way to find out production information for me on several occasions, as well.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

New York City

I am very surprised at your experience. They have been the fairest, most efficient, supportive, informative, downright awesome retailer I have ever dealt with.

Regarding shipping, they always send me an e-mail with the link to a tracking number -- called SweetTrack. I would bet that the moving delivery date is due to a manufacturer's promise behind the scenes. That said, maybe you got a rookie sales rep who does not know the Sweetwater way.

And no, I do not work for them...although after reading this, maybe I should! LOL!!

Well I've loved sweetwater until now. My sales guy has been nice, given me lots of good information. But wow have they really dropped the ball here.

I've got the link to their sweettrack so I can track the package that way, but it doesn't have the true FedEx tracking number so I can't call FedEx to make any arrangements with them.

And to no avail, they just won't give me the real tracking number. I'm still stunned. Even after explaining the situation, they still won't give it to me. This has left me with my jaw on the floor.

I'm really stuck on what to do. I don't know anyone else to call at the company.

( I'm not upset about the delay in the shipping since I'm sure it was due to the 3rd party) It's the refusal to give me the tracking number even after I told them this means my $1000 (one thousdand dollars!!!!) package will sit by my door for almost 4 days.
    JP Garbarini

My experiences ordering from Sweetwater have never been anything but good, and I would not hesitate to order from them again.

I'm not posting this to minimize your experience. Clearly something unacceptable has happened to you. But I'd bet if you talked to the right person it could be cleared up.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I had a small issue similar to that. I needed the shipping address changed because I'd be leaving town. Once it leaves sales it belongs exclusively to shipping and it seems you have to talk to someone in the warehouse I was told. After talking to the supervisor, they worked it out. Took a couple turns at the plate though.

Quote Originally Posted by JPGarbarini
    So since they refuse to give me the tracking #, I don't see anything else I can do. (any ideas are welcome) In any case, I don't see myself ordering from sweetwater any more.
    Hrmmm..... Every time that I've ordered something from Sweetwater they've e-mailed me sort of an internal tracking number (their "Sweet Track" system). Did you get anything like that? Maybe it has some additional shipping info that would help you?

I have had nothing but fantastic experiences with Sweetwater. They were great with helping me through a number of disastrous hardware/software incompatibilities (including my rough-and-rocky entrée into the now-wonderful world of GigaStudio), and one instance of FedEx delivering a box that had been smashed apart en route. Sorry to hear that things didn't go so well.

I would suggest calling a different sales rep to see if s/he can view your dilemma from a different perspective. Especially if you vented your spleen at the prior rep, it would be helpful to get a fresh start with someone else.

Nathan Roemer is the name of the sales agent who helped me a number of times... and this was after previous sales reps had stonewalled me. I believe that his e-mail address is Nathan_Roemer@sweetwater.com, or you could just call Sweetwater and ask for him. Very good guy. Got things done for me.

Barring that, you could try the usual "ask to speak to the supervisor" approach.

Barring that, you could see if there's anyone you could trust to stop by your abode while you're gone, to pick up the item and hold it for you until you return...

Good luck... and happy holidays, this misadventure notwithstanding...
    — alanb

Go Back to forum