• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Concerto Project - Part 4

The Concerto Project - Part 4

It's been a while since I've posted anything about the Concerto project, so it's time I posted an update.

The "tryout" phase of the project is now over. I had been trying out passages from the concerto using various combinations of sample libraries to find out how they all sound and work together. I posted audio clips of these passages, and based on my own observations and suggestions from this forum, I am now ready to proceed to the next step, which is basically starting over from square one.

I've decided on most of the libraries I'm going to use (a few questions are still open for the moment) and I though I'd post these conclusions here.

Solo piano: I still prefer the PMI Bosendorfer, but Martha is a Steinway lover from way back, and since it's her performance that's being memorialized here, I may let her eventually change my mind. I have the Old Lady, and I may end up using that, but the upcoming Garritan Steinway sounds intriguing, so I think I'll put off making a decision until I hear more about it.

Woodwinds: I've been buying the new Westgate woodwinds as they become available, and I plan to use them for my principal woodwinds, and for exposed solo passages in general. The woodwinds in GPO are one of its best features, in my opinion, and blend well with the Westgate. I plan to use them for second chair parts.

Brass: This is still something of a problem for me. I've decided to use the solo horn from Project SAM Solo Sessions for all my solo horn passages, but beyond that I'm still not sure. I like the solo horn in Gold and I may use it in a few places as my second horn. I don't know what to do for horns 3 & 4, though. Vienna Kontakt Library is a possibility, but I haven't yet tried using them in combination with SAM and Gold. Trumpets are also a problem. I like the VKL trumpets, but there's still the concern about blending with the other brass. So the brass question is open for now.

Percussion: This one was easy. The only percussion is timpani, except for a little snare drum in the middle and at the very end. I plan to use True Strike for both.

Solo strings: Another easy one. There is very little solo string writing in the concerto, and for most of it GPO is perfectly adequate. There is one exposed passage for solo violin where I plan to use the Garritan Stradivarius.

Strings: This one was difficult. I've been trying the VKL strings and I like the way they sound. I'd like to buy the full Vienna string library, but the budget just isn't there right now. So I plan to use GOS as my main string library (hopefully I'll be able to upgrade to GOS 2 when it comes out). I think I can manage to afford the Vienna Chamber Strings and use them for layering with GOS. I don't know whether to get the Horizon or VI version of Chamber Strings, but it's moot right now anyway since I'll have to wait a month or two before purchasing. Besides GOS and VI, I'll be layering in some solo strings from GPO and possibly Kirk Hunter, and using the Garritan Stradivarius as my virtual concertmaster.

I've started a new project in Sonar and have pasted in the solo piano part. We're leaving town tomorrow to spend Thanksgiving in Maryland with Martha's family. When we get back, I plan to build up a template in Sonar and get to work. Hopefully, I'll have something new to post in a few weeks.

Wish me luck!
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: The Concerto Project - Part 4

Nice choices from top to bottom. Best of luck with your composition...

Dallas, Texas

Re: The Concerto Project - Part 4

Best of Luck Dan

Happy thanksgiving

Go Back to forum