• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sliding into a note

Share/Bookmark

Sliding into a note

Sorry if this is an extremely basic question, but I have misplaced my manual, and I'm getting nowhere in my failed attempts.

I simply want the violin to slide up from an F to a G (whole step). Playing the F and using the pitch bend to get to the G sounds like I'm using a pitch wheel, you know?

I've got the the F note held down as the G note is played, but it's going right to the G.

Is there way to activate the portamento, and better yet, is there a controller to dictate the rate it moves?

I swear when I've just been playing the Strad, I've heard it do this, but when programming this piece, I can't get it to work.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Sliding into a note

The speed of the portamento is controlled by the velocity of the second note. In this case, you'll need a very low velocity on the G to hear a nice slide. This is much easier to accomplish inside a sequencer than it is live, but it is still playable at the keyboard. Make sure the notes overlap, of course.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Thank you Skysaw! I knew it was something terribly simple that I had overlooked.

Along those lines, is the amount, or speed of the portamento controllable from a controller #?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    is the amount, or speed of the portamento controllable from a controller #?
    For the strad, I believe velocity is the only thing that controls the speed. It works quite differently in GPO.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum