• Register
  • Help

Topic: Science Dept: Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?

Orcas Island

Science Dept: Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?

The Globe and Mail has an interesting article about the latest cancer research:
    "A spate of new discoveries about the basic biology of cancer is pushing researchers toward an astonishing conclusion: For decades, efforts to cure the disease may have targeted the wrong cells.

Current therapies treat all cancer cells the same. They're aimed at shrinking tumours on the basis that the various cells within them all have similar powers to spawn new cancers and spread destruction.

But mounting evidence suggests that cancer's real culprits -- the roots of perhaps every tumour -- are actually a small subset of bad seeds known best to the world as stem cells.

...Abnormal stem cells have now been identified as the engines driving certain cancers of the blood, breast, brain, bone and prostate. And today, two research groups -- one in Canada and another in Italy -- report in an advance online publication of the journal Nature that they have pinpointed aberrant stem cells as the source of colon cancer, the second leading cause of cancer deaths."
    Read the full article here

Re: Science Dept: Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?

Hurry, research groups, hurry!

Larry G. Alexander

Dallas, TX

Very interesting article. Its so good to hear of all the progress that is being made.

Today there was a doctor Don Colbert. MD. on TV talking about taking D.I.M. and success they are having with it. He told what that stands for but i don't recall, but it is a concentrated supplement of the cancer fighting nutrients found in certain vegetables.

He was telling about lately more and more doctors are moving to the procedure where you strengthen the immune system to where it can defeat the cancer on it's own, and then if that is not enough and additional procedure such as chemo is necessary, the recovery is much quicker. He also said there is one type of vitamin E, Gamma something that is also helping, and Melatonin (don't know how to spell it) which helps the immune system by undoing the damage of stress which depletes the natural immune system.

I found his web site by googling his name.

I started out my nursing career as an oncology nurse, specifically Hematology/Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplant nursing. I took care of many, many, many, many people with leukemia and lymphoma during those first 7 years of my nursing career. Sadly, because of the nature of the type of cancer that they had, most are not here to tell their story.

It has been 7+ years since I left oncology nursing. New findings on the nature of cancer has been researched since then. Cancer stem cells I guess is one of them because I don't recall reading and learning about this theory 14+ years ago.

This struck me very heard:

. . . . like the normal stem cell, the cancer stem cell divides far more slowly than the fast-growing, deadly system it spawns. And researchers suspect this is where cancer drugs fall short.

"The cancer stem cell hypothesis suggests that we don't cure cancer because our current drugs know how to kill rapidly proliferating tissue," said Dr. Dirks at Sick Kids. "But our limited understanding of the cancer stem cell is that it does not proliferate rapidly."

Evidence from Dr. Dick's research on blood cancers suggests a stem cell may divide only once a year. Aberrant stem cells behind leukemia, he said, "can be swimming in a sea of chemotherapy agents and still survive."

This fall, Dr. Rich at Duke University published an experiment in Nature that showed cancer stem cells at the root of one of the deadliest forms of brain cancer, glioblastoma, can survive blasts of radiation.

No one suggests abandoning current treatments; only that the stem cell model casts serious doubt on the long-term ability of standard therapies to eliminate the disease.

It was heart-breaking to read this. But it makes sense.

This is a very interesting article. Hopefully the Cancer Stem Cell theory will be proven to be true and effective therapies be developed.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

West Seneca, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Hurry, research groups, hurry!

I second that Larry for you and my sister as well as others.

We could help on the research ... we have imagination, no ?

Go Back to forum