• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: EWQLSO Gold horns vs. SAM Horns?

Share/Bookmark

EWQLSO Gold horns vs. SAM Horns?

Is there anyone out there that has both EWQLSO Gold and SAM Horns? How do the horns compare? I already have EWQLSO Gold and the horns in this package are great but sometimes I feel that SAM Horns sounds more lush when I listen to the demos. Is that true? Do they sound much better and are they much more playable or just sort of?
    I feel that I have to ask this question because a good sounding demo can be the result of good writing and good use of the samples as well.

Would SAM Horns be a good investment considering I have to buy the crossgrade to Kontakt 2 as well?

Re: EWQLSO Gold horns vs. SAM Horns?

I'm not quite sure I can praise SAM horns enough, really! I don't think you'll need any kind of crossgrade either, I just bought the thing and it included Giga, EXS, Halion and Kontakt 1.5 versions.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Imho - Sam Horns are better than EWQLSO horns in every way, except they aren't sampled quite as high in the register.
    also, maybe it's just me, but EWQLSO horns sound almost like stopped horns in louder layers - something I'm not too fond of.

Will Roget: I would have to buy the crossgrade because I only have the Kompakt player that came with EWQLSO. I have no sampler.

K Lundquist: Wow, I thought it was just me that didn't like the high velocitys on the EWQL horns. I thought horns were supposed to sound that way, kind of nasal, when played that loud. I don't like that sound at all actually. Also I don't like that sound in the horn staccatos either. Are the staccatos better in SAM too?
    That is partly why I am considering SAM Horns because I can't hear that sound in the demos. I don't know if they ever play the horns that loud in the demos but now I can take your word for it.

And while we're at it, do you owners of EWQLSO Gold and SAM Horns also have SAM True Strike 1? If so, do you think it's much better than the percussion in EWQLSO? The horns and percussion is two of the better things about EWQLSO but personally I find the bassdrum and timpani to be a little weak.

I have both EWQL GoldXP and SAM Horns. There are some parts of the EWQL that work well but any of the ProjectSAM Brass line will beat EWQL without question. I especially like the SAM Solo series.

On the other hand, $500 for just brass may be a bit steap for some. The EWQL GoldXP brass isn't bad but it still doesn't begin to compare
    JP Garbarini
    http://www.musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

$500?? On Project Sam's online shop it says €99.99 for SAM Horns. The crossgrade to Kontakt 2 from Kompakt is like $229 I think. Have I missed something?

By the way if I remember correctly, SAM Horns has two mic positions, one stage mic and one far mic, right? Does the far mic give much more hall ambience to the sound than the far mics in EWQLSO Gold? Like the hall mics in EWQLSO Platinum or no?

Sorry, I meant the ProjectSAM Brass Bundle was $500 (Horns,Trombones,Trumpets,SoloSession).

And the SAM Horns has a Far mic and a Close mic, no stage mic.

I'm no good at comparing ambience so I'll let someone else take that one
    JP Garbarini
    http://www.musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Ah yes, it would be nice to have the whole set but luckily I can get them one at a time.

Okay. I think I made my question more complex than it is. What I would like to know is if SAM Horns far mics are at approximately the same distance as Platinum's hall mics.
    Gold only has far mics for most samples and I guess they are in that case equivalent to SAM Horns close mics?

Sam horns sound far better than EWQLSO horns.

EWQL horns sound metallic, and it's not really constant , like when you play the lowest note of the horns , it sounds very big and fat, and if you play in the high range it sounds like trombones. Bleg

Sam rocks !!!

You guys are listing all the things I have against the EWQLSO horns. I have also noticed the inconsistency in the samples. So I take it that SAM Horns are better sampled.

Then it's settled. If it will take care of these issues that I find annoying, SAM Horns moves up to the top of my things-to-buy-list!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast