• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale 2007 and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Finale 2007 and GPO

I just bought 2007 Finale and I am really confused about a couple things.

1) How do I get a bass trombone to load in my mini kontakt 2 player?? It seems this important instrument has been left out.

2) How do I change in Finale between patches? Say on one doubler staff i change from Clarinet to Flute.

3) How do I use the GPO keyswitch for the keyswitch strings? How do I do that in finale?

Re: Finale 2007 and GPO

Quote Originally Posted by The Sinner

1) How do I get a bass trombone to load in my mini kontakt 2 player?? It seems this important instrument has been left out.

2) How do I change in Finale between patches? Say on one doubler staff i change from Clarinet to Flute.

3) How do I use the GPO keyswitch for the keyswitch strings? How do I do that in finale?
    Sinner,
    A good place to start would be to read the excellent tutorial prepared by Darcy James Argue--it's included with your Finale. It will tell you how to do what you want via Human Playback (HP). Go through it page by page--you won't regret the time you invest in this!
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Sinner,

The HP/GPO tutorial that Snorlax referred to was included with a Finale 2006 update. I don't believe it's included with 2007.

In your Finale manual read the entire section on the Kontakt 2 player. It will explain all of the basic functions. If you just have the Finale version of GPO, I don't think a bass trombone is included. You'd have to upgrade to the full version of GPO to get that instrument.

To change from clarinet to flute on a single staff for playback you would:
    Load both the clarinet and flute into the Kontakt player on separate midi channels. Your staff would be set to the initial midi channel by default. When you switch to the other instrument, create a text expression (i.e., "to Flute") and assign a midi channel switch as the playback parameter.

For instance the clarinet is on midi channel 1, flute on channel 2, the text expression will change playback to midi channel 2. Create another text expression "to clarinet" and make the playback instruction another midi channel change back to midi channel 1.

Using the GPO keyswitches in Finale, make sure you load the correct patches. (i.e., KS Violins)

Make sure human playback is setup to recognize the GPO keyswitches, then just enter text expressions like "pizz. & "arco" (which have no playback parameter defined) and HP does the keyswitching automatically.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    The HP/GPO tutorial that Snorlax referred to was included with a Finale 2006 update. I don't believe it's included with 2007.
    You're correct, Jeff! The updated HP/GPO/JABB 2007 tutorial is in proof-reading right now and will be released along with the Finale2007"a" free update.

RP.

Has anyone heard when the 2007A update is scheduled for release on the MakeMusic site? I've heard a lot of reference to this awaited patch but have not heard of an expected timeline yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTewes
    Has anyone heard when the 2007A update is scheduled for release on the MakeMusic site? I've heard a lot of reference to this awaited patch but have not heard of an expected timeline yet.
    There is no official date, but this is getting close. For Garritan users, beside bug fixes, lots of goodies in sight in Human Playback like support for the Stradivari (and potentially the whole Solo Strings Series).

Patience, patience...

RP

but why is there no bass trombone?

I also miss the bass trombone in Finale; even though I have GPO full, it would be a great convenience to have it in the basic set. Nothing BLATs quite like that!

but why is there no bass trombone?
    Because the version of GPO that comes with Finale is a smaller version of the full GPO. All of the included instruments are listed on the Finale web-site. And considering that this "GPO Lite" is included at no extra charge, just the normal Finale price, it's a bonus set of sounds.

Finale GPO is just a basic set of orchestral instruments, nothing more. It never claimed to be everything to everyone. There's no way possible to include every instrument that everyone needs, so a list of instruments was selected and that's it.

If you enjoy Finale/GPO you might consider upgrading to the full version. You can read about the full version here:
    http://www.garritan.com/GPO.html
    It's truly an outstanding value.

Or you could add the JABB collection, the Strad 2 or any other instrument that is powered by a NI player.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by danveach
    I also miss the bass trombone in Finale; even though I have GPO full, it would be a great convenience to have it in the basic set. Nothing BLATs quite like that!
    Once NI upgrades all of the players to Kontakt 2, you'll be able to load Finale GPO, Full GPO and JABB all in the same player at the same time. That'll make it more convenient.

JT

Go Back to forum