• Register
  • Help

Topic: Are there any Strad MIDI file examples ?

Smile Are there any Strad MIDI file examples ?

Midi file examples were very helpful for learning GPO. I downloaded several a year ago and studied them. They opened my eyes (and ears) to the inner workings and interaction of the various CC#s as well as getting a handle on overall volume levels.
    "Looking under the hood" makes it easier to comprehend all aspects of controlling our instruments.

Are there any midi examples of any of the posted Strad demos or any other Strad midi tutorials?
    I'm looking for a file(s) that is rich with examples of controlling the various elements of the Strad.

- we need a Strad smilie!
    Bosco Adama

Re: Are there any Strad MIDI file examples ?

I'll share a little midi here. I hope this isn't too far afield to be useful.

Some explanation is due here. This was my entry into the Halloween contest, and the mp3 file is chock full of unusual effects that won't show in the MIDI file. This example uses strad 1, because I could replace the violin body with the impulse for a grammophone horn. This is not important for this example, as it still sounds basically like a violin, and the controllers are set up for either version to work.

You won't find anything interesting here on keyswitching or double-stops, but there is lots and lots of very carefully placed data to get just the right "scoopiness" I was looking for. Plenty of pitch wheel, CC1, CC11, CC67, and low-velocity induced portamentos.

I've found that my ear is very sensitive to small changes in vibrato, and that it's important to vary the speed as well as the intensity for this kind of slow lyrical playing. Lately I've been applying the theory that vibrato tends to slow down a bit as it increases in intensity, though I don't keep it as simple as that.

I hope this helps in some way. Let me know if you have any questions.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Howdy neighbor!
    I'm across the river in Silver Spring (the Discovery zone).
    Is there a midi cc# list of Strad controllers ? I didn't see one in the manual. It would be nice to be able to control all the nuances.

After enjoying "this-was-the-place" and the mood it evokes, I can't help but think of all the poor turkeys today! haha.

This reminds me of a piece that I once sequenced on midi guitar using a Heart of Asia bamboo flute sample for a similar color.

I look forward to the CSI midi dissection ( Controller Study + Implementation)!

Thanks for sharing!
    Bosco Adama

Hey neighbor! I lived in Silver Spring and in Takoma Park for a few years each.

Here's what I know of the controllers. There isn't one page with a convenient list in the manual, but the info is there spread out a bit.

wheel = pitch bend
    velocity = attack strength, or portamento speed if notes overlap
    channel aftertouch = vibrato speed
    CC#1 = depth of vibrato
    CC#7 = standard MIDI volume
    CC#11 = dynamics pp-ff
    CC#64 = bow change effect
    CC#67 = vibrato speed offset

I just realized that I used CC#67 for my vibrato speed instead of aftertouch in this piece... seems to work that way as well.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum