• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Scherzo - 4th Symphony - Tchaikovsky

Share/Bookmark

Scherzo - 4th Symphony - Tchaikovsky

The 4th Symphony ranks amoung one of P.I. Tchaikovsky's most well known compositions. The 3rd Movenent titled "Scherzo - Pizzaicato Ostinato" is one of his more interesting and curious creations for a large scale work such as a symphony. The main body of the work is a performance of the strings totally in a pizzicato fashion. They are later joins in by the other members of the orchestra playing in like fashion, together and in alternating dialog with each other.

www.garybricault.com/mp3/Sym4ScherzoOrchestra.mp3

This rendering was created using a full orchestra score transcribed into Finale 2006 and voiced using the following GPO/JABB instruments;

Piccolo NV, Flute Plr 1 & Plr 2
    Oboe Modern Plr 1 & Plr 2
    Bb Clarinet Plr 1 & Plr 2 transposed for A Clarinet
    Bassoon Plr 1 in 2 voices
    F Horn Plr 1 & Plr 2
    Trumpet Plr 1 in 2 voices
    Tenor Tromb Plr 1 in 2 voices
    JABB Bass TBone Open
    Timpani KS
    Vlns 1 Pizzicato
    Vlns 2 Pizzicato
    Violas Pizzicato
    Cellos Pizzicato
    Basses Pizzicato

The Human Playback Crescendo/Dimenuendo setting is set to Key Velocity Only in order to make the pizzicato strings properly track the dynamics. The Ambience is to default settings with the exception of Time at 1475 ms and Diffusion at 34% to obtain the best reverbation without loosing the rapid woodwind passages.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Scherzo - 4th Symphony - Tchaikovsky

Quite an undertaking, Gary -- and a fine job of it!

Other than a very few pieces that have been worked
    half to death, Tchaikovsky is, to my mind, under-represented
    in standard repertoire; and I'm pleased to see his work getting
    more attention, here.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I love this symphony! Great work, Tchaikovsky's melodies and motifs are very lyrical and addictive. I remember the first time I heard this movement with all its pizzicato, it was quite a thrill... Tchaikovsky was an amazing orchestrator. Nice rendering, thanks for sharing!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Quite an undertaking, Gary -- and a fine job of it!

Other than a very few pieces that have been worked
    half to death, Tchaikovsky is, to my mind, under-represented
    in standard repertoire; and I'm pleased to see his work getting
    more attention, here.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks David, This is an incredibly tedious work to enter into score as there are sooooooo many rests interspruced between the plucks.

I agree with you that Tchaikovsky is under-represented overall. Certain works are performed to death while so many others languish, wanting a performance.

Incidentially, I did determine that for some reason the Finale 2006 human playback feature does not control the dynamics of the pizzicato strings correctly. I had to set the Crescendo/Dimenuendo control from Automatic to Key Velocity Only setting to get it to work properly. And then adjust other instruments to balance correctly.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I love this symphony! Great work, Tchaikovsky's melodies and motifs are very lyrical and addictive. I remember the first time I heard this movement with all its pizzicato, it was quite a thrill... Tchaikovsky was an amazing orchestrator. Nice rendering, thanks for sharing!
    Thanks Sean. It was an enormous challange to input just this movement alone. And the GPO produced a very realistic, believable orchestra. I am still getting a thrill when I listen to the result of all the pieces coming together.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    ... for some reason the Finale 2006 human playback feature does not control the dynamics of the pizzicato strings correctly.
    Gary, I ran into this a while back. They do work correctly for me. However, the stock expressions library that comes with Finale contains several pizz. expressions -- some of which contain data where they should be set to "none". If *not* set to "none" -- the pizz. perform erratically or not at all with dynamic markings.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

You really should post this on the MakeMusic forum to give an idea to people there of just how powerful Finale and GPO together can be!
    I am so tired of defending the combination to Finale users!!!!

This is a beautiful rendition and the MakeMusic forum users should get the chance to hear something (relatively) familiar, complex, and beautifully rendered.

It does sound like you put a lot of work into it.

There seems to be a sort of youthful or mischievous feel to this movement.

I'm glad I finally caught it.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Gary, I ran into this a while back. They do work correctly for me. However, the stock expressions library that comes with Finale contains several pizz. expressions -- some of which contain data where they should be set to "none". If *not* set to "none" -- the pizz. perform erratically or not at all with dynamic markings.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David,

I am not using the Finale stock pizz. expressions, just the standard dynamic markings. The utilize only the key velocity values and that is what the pizzicato is supposed to utilize to set the output level. If I open the vitual instrument and monitor a pizz. instrument I can see the Mod Wheel reacting but there is no change in the output level. This may be a bug in the interface with Human Playback.

The only way I could make the output level work correctly was to change the default setting of the Human Playback Cresc/Dim from Automatic to Key Velocity Only. And it tracks the markings accurately, hairpins included.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    You really should post this on the MakeMusic forum to give an idea to people there of just how powerful Finale and GPO together can be!
    I am so tired of defending the combination to Finale users!!!!

This is a beautiful rendition and the MakeMusic forum users should get the chance to hear something (relatively) familiar, complex, and beautifully rendered.
    Michel,

Thanks so much for your comments. If the MakeMusic forum via their web site? I will definately do this and I have a whole stack of other works that I have already posted to this forum if you are not aware of it. The Finale and GPO/JABB combination is very powerful indeed as I have quickly learned.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast