• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample libraries under the network

Question Sample libraries under the network

I'm in need of more space, but my DAW is currently full of hard disk drivers (1x 80gb for system, 1x 80gb for data and 2x 200gb for samples).

I'm wondering if there is any way to use or load all my sample libraries from another computer, via network?

I was thinking about install the samples on another computer in the network, but I'm afraid there could be any network problem or delay, even because I'm using two computers on Windows XP directly connected each other, and sometimes, for my server to reach a folder in my DAW, it takes a while (I don't know why).

1. Maybe it would be better to use a real server (Windows 2003) between all the stations?

2. I don't know if the example above would work. I also heard many things about Midioverlan, but never used it and don't know how it works. Is it like I said above (I load the samples from another machine directly on my DAW) or different (it controls another computer running the host and the sample libraries by itself)?

Thank you!
    []'s, Fabrício Zuccherato
    Wormhole Studios

Re: Sample libraries under the network

I think it depends largely on whether or not you use any kind of streaming from disk mechanism!

If you don't, if all your samples load into memory, then you can use another machine to "host" your samples. I do this for all of my soundfonts, loops, and sound effects, and it works out pretty nicely. They are all hosted on a machine that is also used for GigaStudio.

If, however, you are streaming from disk in realtime then I suspect even a GB ethernet will slow you down.

What you really want at that point is some kind of device attached storage area network, and presently those are beastly expensive!!!!

MidiOverLan is a great utility for moving MIDI data from one machine to another in real time over an ethernet or firewire connection. Works flawlessly, and it is reasonably priced. There are other tools that do the same basic thing, including specialized tools from FXTeleport that also carry audio. There is also an open source tool, I can't remember the name but it is hosted on Source Forge.

I have had zero success moving audio across an isolated 100BT network, I've tried Wormhole too, no joy!

One last thought, if you are interested in Device Attached Storage Area Networking (DAS-SAN) check out iSCSI, which moves SCSI data over either a TCP/IP or an ethernet network.
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise

Go Back to forum