• Register
  • Help

Topic: General Midi Library

Share/Bookmark

General Midi Library

Hello. I have both GPO & JABB. I'm considering purchasing the GM library as well. Are there any benefits to this? Will it also use Kontact Player? Will it have controls similar to GPO/JABB? Any details that you can give are appreciated. Thanks. ~Eric

Re: General Midi Library

Quote Originally Posted by ofafeather
    Hello. I have both GPO & JABB. I'm considering purchasing the GM library as well. Are there any benefits to this? Will it also use Kontact Player? Will it have controls similar to GPO/JABB? Any details that you can give are appreciated. Thanks. ~Eric
    Eric,
    the benefit is that this collection will have the 128 instrument General MIDI soundset. This includes organs, guitars, basses, sound fx, ethnic instruments, synths and other sounds not in GPO and JABB. Also the controller system does not follow the GPO/JBB convention (mod whee and legato) but follows the standard General MIDI controls.

Gary Garritan

That last bit, to me, is both a gift, and a curse. (Name the show, Sean)

Pro - Easier to do the dynamics

Con - I'm too used to adding ~C1,127 all over my scores...
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    That last bit, to me, is both a gift, and a curse. (Name the show, Sean)
    Catch an all new Monk on December 22! Yay!

By following the standard MIDI controls, it should make it super-easy to render my old MIDI compositions with the library and make them sound much nicer. Still, even back in the days of MIDI composing, a piece would sound different on different computers depending on what MIDI sets they had, thus when listening to your own composition with a different sound set, the orchestration can sound weird or just plain horrible, so the need for tweaking is probably probable.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum