• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Brass Players, comments, please

Share/Bookmark

Brass Players, comments, please

I have some reservations about the ability of the 'bone to handle some of this extracted part. My own experience with the trombone is old and limited. I am thinking that perhaps a baritone might be better able to manage the part at the prescribed tempo. All comments appreciated.

http://files.myopera.com/rwayland/files/Trombone.pdf

Richard

Re: Brass Players, comments, please

Richard,

Generally, very playable (subject to tidying up the notation ).

The only areas of possible concern are where you go quickly from from low Bb's and a's to low C's and B's - on a "straight" tenor trombone this involves moving the slide from 1st or 2nd position (slide hand by the face) to 6th or 7th position (slide fully extended).

However, it is very common for "classical" trombonists to use trombones that have a valve/trigger that obviates the need for these large movements.

It comes down to "know who you are writing for"
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Thanks, Richard. Quite helpful to me.

Richard

Agreed, some parts would be difficult without an F attachment. Virtually all symphony players will have one; many jazz players prefer a smaller horn.

In general, lower notes are harder to play fast. Even when you take fingering out of the equation, the instrument just doesn't respond as quickly (laws of physics & all). m. 42 is much more difficult than m. 120, F valve or no.

Just to be sure we're on the same page about notation gripes, these things are annoying:
    * chromatic lines that mix flats & sharps (convention is sharps when ascending & vice versa)
    * in places where spelling choice is ambiguous (at least without seeing the rest of the score), minor 3rds are almost always preferable to augmented 2nds
    * 16th, 16th rest, 16th, 16th rest (on the beat). Just use a staccato mark already; save the fancy writing for the rhythms later on that are actually syncopated.
    * what does staccato under a slur mean? yes, it's common, but I guarantee someone will waste rehearsal time by asking. pick something else. a dash + dot, a written phrase like "marcato", whatever.
    * don't put dotted notes on offbeats unless there's a clear & common rhythmic pattern (eg, in 4/4 time: dotted-quarter, dotted-quarter, quarter). I don't know the right way to write m. 30 but that's not it.

I know it's a pain to get right when coming from a sequencer. Thing is, these rules are really simple; there's no reason a human should need to do them. We've been doing music on computers for two decades, yet today's software still outputs utter crap like measure 48. Blah.

If you don't mind me commenting on the score. The brass technics have been covered more or less already. As a composer, I don't see something unplayable... just difficult... And usually in the UK, people that cannot play things at first sight go on and call it unplayable! I find this quite disgusting! but it's the manner of things of how are worked in the UK. No time, which means that the performers have amazing sight reading abbilities. Yet.. MY works always are composer with a notion in mind: Study! I don't write easy music. So all workshops go to waste...

EDIT (After Richards Comment, see beneeth): Of course not all performers are like that. Definately not. It's just something that I've noticed over the couple of years that I live here. And definately the word disgusting is a too harsh word... Sorry 'bout that. I'll just leave it to make Richards post have sense and not edit the whole thing.

Anyhow..

Sharsp/Flats: Indeed D C# and then C natural, is akward. Down means flat, up means sharp. Except in cases of a full score where the hamony could be more important than the spelling. Yet here the pdf is a part so...

minor thirds: Definately! As long as it's not followed by a agmented second again... Depends on the mode... But generally most instrument CAN play microtones, and since they're used to that, they may go off tune when give an akward spelling or mellody.

syncopeded notes vs rests: Again Richard is absolutely right! Though with 5 minutes of spending time looking at the score on can make out which is syncopeted and which not (which brings us back to the opening of the post... :P)

Dotted notes: This is WAY complicated... m. 30 should be like this:

Please excuse the huge size. No time to resize it... Sorry :-/

One thing that I do when dealing with live performances is that after making the parts I sit at the keyboards (which I don't have so I go to my college), and play all the parts. It is 1 hours work or so, but it saves you a lot of trouble. Casue you DON'T know the parts, as you know the full score, and you can spot mistakes pretty soon. Otherwise the next best thing is to have someone else proofread them... But where can you find someone to do that? My wife won't do this for me... (she's a musicians and an architect like me... yet she won't proof read my works... Maybe because it would end in a divorce or something??? who knows really??? )

Nikolas,

I think you've been a bit harsh on UK musicians. Based on your own experience, you are no doubt correct about the musicians you have found yourself working with - but to assume that everyone is the same is destined to be innaccurate.

Anyhoo - I wanted to make the comment, but don't want to take this thread off topic, so I'll leave it there.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    I have some reservations about the ability of the 'bone to handle some of this extracted part. My own experience with the trombone is old and limited. I am thinking that perhaps a baritone might be better able to manage the part at the prescribed tempo. All comments appreciated.

http://files.myopera.com/rwayland/files/Trombone.pdf

Richard
    Do you know the level of the group that will be playing this?

Well, the piece is now finished and listed on the Listening Room. All comments were appreciated and considered.

In fairness to Sonar and Sibelius, I point out that the bulk of the notational errors were mine, not the transcription/importation. The part was not at all a finished product, and I was primarily interested in playability.

Richard

FWIW .. For me, at least, mm. 1-17 are very idiomatic for the bone, mm. 18-23 seem to lie easier on the Euphonium and the rest feel more "bonish" again. Those are just the feelings I got singing through ... not acutally playing it.

Dean

BTW .. how does one go about posting a piece to the Listening Room? I'm new here.

Dean

Go Back to forum