• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help !!! S-convert does NOT see 50 % of my Akai CD

Share/Bookmark

Help !!! S-convert does NOT see 50 % of my Akai CD

Man, I\'m going INSANE...I just bought a new PC ( PIII500, Asus P3B-F motherboard, Acer 50 x cd rom, 128 Mb ram ). Everything seems to work fine BUT the S-convert does not see 50 % of my Akai CD rom and it keeps crashing when it cannot find the CD.
    I went out and bought another CD-rom ( Asus 50x ) on the recommandation of the Giga rep who came to town for a seminar. SAME problem. This is VERY agrevating.
    Out of desperation, I took an old cd-ro from my 486 Matsu****a 4x ) and it read ALL my Akai cd from ths S-convert utility !!!
    Are there any modern CD rom that will work 100 % with s-convert ????

Re: Help !!! S-convert does NOT see 50 % of my Akai CD

Yes, this can be the problem, same as with hw Akai samplers... The 100% S-Convert compatible CD-ROMs are Toshiba (any speed). I own one 32 speed IDE Toshiba and S-Convert reads really every Akai CD. I tried it also for example on a Panasonic and it did\'t work; but if you take a Toshiba, it will work.

I think most IDE drives are just too crappy for anything as sensitive as S-convert apparently (for no reason??) is....

SCSI drives should work - at least my Yamaha CR16-something burner works perfectly well, my Pioneer IDE drive doesn\'t.

No, SCSI also works (but some not - for example SCSI NEC), but any IDE Toshiba works on 100%, really reads every Akai CD without any problem. Also re-writen Akai CDs to no-name CD mediums S-Convert reads perfectly with IDE Toshiba 32x

First of all, I\'m sure you\'re trying to read stolen sample CDs, that is, CDR, not commercially pressed CDs. So I say, boo hoo hoo if you can\'t read your bootleg CDR sample cds!!!!

Anyway, it has nothing to do with the drive really, if the CDs are made properly you can read them on virtually any IDE reader with Sconverter. It takes some trouble to burn a good CDR; the Plextor burner actually knows the media you stick in it, and sets the power of the laser for the best burn. Lesser drives, YOU have to find the right match between the drive and the media; not all media will be burned properly by lesser brands of IDE burners.

Hello johnsoderberg, we thought the same thing as you, until some of our commercial cd\'s wouldn\'t load. Commercially manufactured Cd\'s not cdr\'s. We ran tests on two exact same creative drive\'s one worked the other didn\'t. My mat****a scsi worked and also a samsung 32x ide. As it stands right now we are very intrigued about this situation I don\'t think it has anything to do with scsi or ide they both work fine. It seems not all drives are equal. I\'m still trying to find out if any user\'s have tried it with the new DVD roms to see if they are having the same problem. They are supposed to have better reading.
    I still don\'t understand. Why? Maybe someone
    here knows.

PaPa Chalk

[This message has been edited by PaPa Chalk (edited 12-06-1999).]

[This message has been edited by PaPa Chalk (edited 12-06-1999).]

I don\'t have any problems with commerically pressed cds. Tell us which cd(s) you can\'t read and who was the manufacturer? Even commercial cds are badly done sometimes.

Those 2 \'Creative\' drives of yours that failed, are they able to do digital audio extraction?

[This message has been edited by johnsoderberg (edited 12-06-1999).]

[This message has been edited by johnsoderberg (edited 12-06-1999).]

Hello All,

I\'ve imported a lot of CDs into SConverter and have also had some major problems. The worst situation was trying to convert a double CD set called \"Things That Go Bump In The Night\". Both CDs in their entireity would not convert. Anyone else have these CDs and had any success?

THESE ARE NOT BOOTLEGS!!

Robert Kral.

Hi AV,

I use a Plextor TS32(SCSI) and I never had problems with the AKAI-import.

Wolfgang

Yes as I have said I\'ve had this happen many times. On diffrent cds from difrent manufactures. Why I think its the drive is because. They work 100% on one creative 32x ide drive and my matshta but the other creative not at all. This bad drive reads other data disks windows of course encarta etc some sample cds not all.
    Sometimes i think they might have dropped it when it was shipped to the retailer,
    who knows or bad quality control. It\'s also possible that like johnsoderberg said commercialy done cd\'s could be bad sometimes
    a rarity for sure highly unlikly. I still think s convert works the same on both scsi or ide once theres no problem with the drive.

Not sure about the digital audio extraction I\'ll find out for you. I\'m using my matshta
    scsi and samsung ide now, Works excellent.

PaPa Chalk

Go Back to forum